BP vs. real pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
DD started a new hitting routine last night and I wanted to get some input on potential issues down the road.

Her hitting approach and form seem to be pretty dialed in currently, but she doesn't get a lot of reps hitting "real" live pitching other than in games. Team coaches front toss or use machine in BP. I throw to her in cage, but it's just front toss. I have to throw overhand to get any speed on a pitch and have it be accurate with any movement. We do this 1-2 times a week and also tee work at home. I got in contact with a pitching coach who was a very legit D1 (WCWS) pitcher about 6-7 years ago, and still can dial it up to mid-high 60s and throw a wide variety of nasty movement pitches. This coach agreed to pitch "game style" BP to DD and we are going to start doing this weekly. Currently DD plays 14U and while the pitchers are good, she has yet to face anyone that can pitch like this. Side note...It was pretty cool to watch DD adapt her timing to actually get some hits off this coach. Was definitely an eye opener (literally) for her to see what a 60+ screw ball looks like when it runs in. Gave me a new appreciation to for how good these college hitters are to be able to consistently hit pitching like that.

My thought is having her get real ABs against truly high level pitching will help make her better long term. But my question is, have any of you had your DDs do live hitting sessions against a much higher level pitcher, and if so, did it cause any serious timing issues or swing glitches for them when facing lesser skilled pitchers in games?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My thought is having her get real ABs against truly high level pitching will help make her better long term.
Yes it will but, if your DD can hit against......
legit D1 (WCWS) pitcher about 6-7 years ago, and still can dial it up to mid-high 60s and throw a wide variety of nasty movement pitches.

At 14u...and can hit.....
pretty cool to watch DD adapt her timing to actually get some hits off this coach. Was definitely an eye opener (literally) for her to see what a 60+ screw ball looks like when it runs in.
Then I wouldn't worry to much about my DD having possible 'timing' issues against the possible much slower 14u pitchers. I might ask the WCWS pitcher to 'dial' it down occasionally to help my DD adjust to a change up/14u average speed.
I would like to see video of the session if you can post it. Thanks in advance.

Sep 29, 2014
Cant hurt but no real need to be throwing 65 mph screws and rises, your DD is not going to hit many of them and she is not going to see that at 14U.

You could always just take the plunge and learn to pitch, if you were a ballplayer with some decent athletic ability left you could probably manage to get up to 14U pitcher level in a few months.

took about two months before a felt comfortable enough to throw BP for my 12U team a few years back...helped that my DD was learning to catch so it was a perfect fit, maybe three times a week for 30 mins or so...nothing great mind you, I was actually pretty bad but good enough to throw probably 50 or so without plunking the girls. was wearing my pitchers out on our hitting nights and want to give them a break, also beat them all home to home running time...man I am getting old I would not even dream of trying running that now and it was only about 4 years ago.

Last edited:

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I pitch to my dd at cages. Its fun. I only throw drops, drop curves, changeups and fast balls. If you can throw the changes and fastballs to start with, your gonna be ok. Work the inside/outside corners. Have fun with it. We always do. Now that I have gotten a lil more faster I have to go back to 40 feet. Shes having a hard time hitting off her old man!! LOL

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
Thanks for input, dialing it down a bit will be something I'll suggest. I think seeing a lot of good screws, DCs and change ups is going help a lot more than just trying to hit speed too. When I say she got some hits, it was probably 9-10 legit base hits (one really good shot) out of about 50. I was pleasantly surprised that she probably had an equal amount of fouls to swings and misses. I didn't get any video last night, but will shoot some next week.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2012
Just from watching my DD's, the variety helps. Live full motion, short underhand front toss, short overhand front toss, different pitchers, etc. seems to be the ticket for them. The worst hitting slump oldest DD got into was when an AC threw front toss underhanded same speed, same distance every hitting practice for two months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish