Best vision mask/least ugly:)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
DD has a Rip-it that is about 5 years old, so I don't know if they have a better model. She won't wear one and complains she can't see grounders as well. I read the reviews on Schutt Titaniam. Their site says they don't block sight of grounders.
Does the white or another color look better than black? She is a blond with very pale skin. She is fighting us on this so I'm trying to make this easier. I've seen some with custom colors. It's been 3 years since she wore one and yesterday she got hit by a one hopper that took a turn and now has a moderate concussion. She couldn't even walk on her own and was arguing to go back in!
She still says she won't wear one. Too bad girl, you're gonna.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
We recently played on a not so good field and both our SS and 2nd baseman took shots to the face. A hard hit ground ball would get about 2' from them and bounce up right into their face. Fortunately the SS had sunglasses on in addition to the ball glancing off her eye. Our 2nd baseman wasn't so lucky and took a direct hit to the eye socket/nose.

She had a concussion as well and missed two games and just made it back in time for regional championship. The only way they would clear her medically was if she wore the face mask. She's wearing the rip-it but we do have one player that has the Schutt and to me at least they appear to be similar from a vision standpoint.

There's a 3rd brand (or at least different model) out now that isn't titanium, very low cost and offers great vision. However, I question the ability of the face mask to offer full protection at least in the nose area (it would take a perfect hit to get to the face). I can't recall the brand and/or model????

Oct 10, 2011
We recently played on a not so good field and both our SS and 2nd baseman took shots to the face. A hard hit ground ball would get about 2' from them and bounce up right into their face. Fortunately the SS had sunglasses on in addition to the ball glancing off her eye. Our 2nd baseman wasn't so lucky and took a direct hit to the eye socket/nose.

She had a concussion as well and missed two games and just made it back in time for regional championship. The only way they would clear her medically was if she wore the face mask. She's wearing the rip-it but we do have one player that has the Schutt and to me at least they appear to be similar from a vision standpoint.

There's a 3rd brand (or at least different model) out now that isn't titanium, very low cost and offers great vision. However, I question the ability of the face mask to offer full protection at least in the nose area (it would take a perfect hit to get to the face). I can't recall the brand and/or model????
That bar in the top middle part of the Schutt looks like it could be distracting...hard to tell. No stores around here sell them...only rip--it

Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
My DD and most of my players that wear masks have the Schutt and are really happy with them. Not one of them complains about their vision being impaired. I have one kid that has the Titanium mask. It is virtually the same except for the weight. When DD needs a new one we will spend the money for the Titanium one as the weight difference is considerable.

My DD has a white one and I think it looks good. The Titanium one that our kid has is Silver and it looks good.

The best thing I did was to tell my DD she is wearing one whether she wants to or not but then took her to the store and let her pick it out. She never looked back.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wear a Gameface, a lot. But, I wore it from the time it came out. The first one saved me from a direct hit to the nose. I replaced it and this last one saved me from a bounce off of the plate that came up under my mask. I just noticed yesterday that that blow, broke it. I am shopping, too. After I break them, I give them to parents that need something, to catch their DD's with. I always hope they will buy a new one, once they try it. I may order a few, if I can send them back.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Does the white or another color look better than black? She is a blond with very pale skin. She is fighting us on this so I'm trying to make this easier. I've seen some with custom colors.

A quick trip to Home Depot or Lowes for a can of spray paint and you can make the mask any color you want!!!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Combat Face Off mask is one of the safest protective masks out there and really not bad looking. Also, seen some cool paint jobs on the clear parts and looks very cool. Maybe a little more expensive than some, but its a heck of a mask.

Also, Worth has one called the Face First that probably is less detectible, but I believe its a lesser standard product than the Combat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves