Wearing the WRONG color

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I have a few of these. I will save the most embarrassing ones for last. Only one of these actually involved police, me testifying before a grand jury, etc.

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you or a family member was wearing the WRONG color? I've had that happen a few times over the years. I'll start with the most recent, which was by no means the worst.

DD #2 has a tendency to wear her sisters' clothing. She never played softball, but she tends to wear her sisters' softball t-shirts and sweatshirts a LOT. So much that she almost wound up on the JV team by accident. I covered that in another thread, so I won't be redundant.

Which means that DD #3 was headed for a softball clinic with no clean softball shirt. So, she decided to wear a shirt from a volleyball camp. The local HS is the James Madison Memorial Spartans, and their colors are exactly the same shade of green and white as the Michigan State Spartans. So, she wore a green and white t-shirt saying "SPARTAN NATION" to the clinic.

Problem was, the clinic was at U of Wisconsin, and included the kids watching a game (fortunately against Iowa). So, I have pictures of DD #3 with Bucky Badger and with UW Head Coach Yvette Healy, wearing a SPARTAN NATION t-shirt. Coach Healy saw the shirt, and immediately asked me what HS my DD was going to attend, since Coach knows one of the local HS is Memorial. I explained the t-shirt. Coach Healy complimented DD on her shirt, and invited me to take some pictures of the two of them together.

Not long afterwards, we took a family trip to a collegiate rowing event in Ann Arbor, Michigan. (DS rows for the Milwaukee School of Engineering Raiders). Event hosted by U of Michigan. We stayed in a motel in Ann Arbor. Guess what shirt DD #3 was going to wear in Ann Arbor? I stopped her before she could leave the motel room, and explained where we were. She got it, and changed very quickly.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Another one, also not THAT bad.

Many years ago, DW was pregnant with DD #1. I had a one-year contract to teach at the University of Central Arkansas in Conway, close to Little Rock.

One day, DW and I decided to go hiking with DS. (Then a toddler). We went to Pinnacle Mountain, west of Little Rock. The ONLY jacket DW had that would cover her tummy was an orange jacket. What shade of Orange? Tennessee Volunteer orange!

After the hike, DW needed to go to the restroom NOW! I am not stupid enough to argue with a pregnant woman who needs to go NOW! I remembered a Wendy's on the west side of Little Rock. So, we went there for restrooms and lunch.

Did you know the Arkansas Razorbacks used to play some of their games in War Memorial Stadium, on the west side of Little Rock? And, there was a hotel across the street from Wendy's, where a lot of fans would stay for the game. Guess who the Razorbacks were hosting? That would be Peyton Manning and the Tennessee Vols!

Half of the restaurant was wearing red. Half was wearing orange. We had no choice but to sit with the Vols fans. Nice people, I must say.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
GAME OF THE CENTURY:

My parents taught at the University of Arkansas, in Fayetteville. Back then Fayetteville was a LOT smaller than it is now, and everyone knew everyone else. So, for example, the twin daughters of the head football coach, Frank Broyles, were classmates of mine.

One time the biggest game ever played in Fayetteville transpired. It was December, and the undefeated #1 ranked Texas Longhorns (colors burnt orange and white) were coming to play the undefeated #2 ranked Arkansas Razorbacks (colors cardinal red and white). President Nixon was coming to town, along with a plaque made up to declare the winner of the game National Champions by presidential decree. Only time that ever happened.

I was sick the day before the game. Two of the girls in my elementary school dressed up in really cute matching cheerleader type red and white outfits, pom poms and everything. One of the girls was a neighbor of mine. The other was one of the Broyles twins.

One of the girls said to the other: "too bad Bob didn't see our outfits. Let's drop by his house and show him!" So, they came to the door, and made fun of my shirt. Do I even need to tell you what color I was wearing?

Burnt. Orange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi