Say yes or no to the face mask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
You play contact sports, you're gonna get hit. Wear one or don't. Tastes great or less filling. OK, call me an oversimplifying person>

Oct 15, 2014
I don't care about beer leagues. Iowa is ready to mandate that all female infielders were facemasks in HighSchool (fast pitch) It's sexism and nothing more, no reports of any serious injuries, no reports of deaths. I played hundreds of games, watched hundreds of others, nobody was ever hurt.
Parents, if you're so concerned, don't let them play. It is actually that simple, stop punishing female athletes, if they want to wear one, that's fine. NO MANDATES.
I was a pitcher, I was hit twice....I lived, life went on just fine. It's called a glove. Why is a teenage girls face more valuable than a boys? no mandates there....they're actually hurt more. Something deeper is at work here. Blame the parents, I haven't met one High school infielder that wants to wear one.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2014
A parent recently shared some photos of their dd hit by the ball. First was a bad hop that hit her in the jaw and right cheek. First thought was where was her mask? She always uses one. This is 1st year 16u. Finally found out either the coach or the org frowns on masks. Parent never told me who. That's a bit much to ask of a kid to play for you. No matter if you are a college exposure team or not.
She got hit by a ball, and? It's part of the game...and severe injuries are RARE

Oct 15, 2014
If no one every heard of actual injuries. No one would likely ever hear about safety equipment either.
And I'm trying to figure out in what way does knightsb relaying what happened today at practice "exploit someone's misfortune".

No, it's parents exploiting their girls injuries to ruin the game for the rest of the girls. Are these same parents demanding their boys wear masks? NO

Oct 15, 2014
You play contact sports, you're gonna get hit. Wear one or don't. Tastes great or less filling. OK, call me an oversimplifying person>
It is that simple, I was a pitcher, fastpitch.....anyone would have asked me to wear a mask, I would have chucked it in the trunk. Yes, I was hurt by a line-drive ONCE by a University of Nebraska player after 14 years of pitching, no....my parents NEVER asked me to wear a mask. It was never an issue, it's the new "breed" of parents...it isn't the girls

Oct 15, 2014
I don't know about you but I am just not all that thrilled with the thought of a bullet line drive hitting my DD(or any player for that matter) square in the face.

For a pitcher especially, I don't see it as a sign of weakness, I see it as a sign that she isn't totally crazy. It is hard "showcase" when you are layed up in the hospital with a fractured jaw/skull/face,.

Granted my DD is only 11 but I don't forsee her not wearing one while pitching atleast from here on out. And if that is going to keep her from playing for certain schools then so be it.

This girl is most likely never gonna want to pitch again and what do you suppose the bill is gonna be for this doctor visit? $40 "Rip It" mask and it would have just been a headache at most. ..........Just Sayin..............
rMXC7.jpg

No parent wants their child to get hurt, no parent wants to see another child get hurt. Some parents realize that like boys, girls are gamers, they aren't afraid, they don't want to be treated differently....and they either except that, or they don't let them play. Let the girl decide if she wants to wear a mask, no mandates.
Pictures don't change anything.

Oct 15, 2014
This discussion is all about the new "breed" of parents. It's completely out of control. Fear-mongering. Girls should be treated differently, even though they are playing other girls? As a parent, if you suspect the level of play might be getting too dangerous for your Daughters ability, there are other sports. Stop projecting your fears onto other girls and parents.

Oct 15, 2014
My DD is also 14 and plays third base. I require her to wear a face mask. Like a lot of parents, I think my DD has college potential and we are hopeful that she receives some type of athletic scholarship. It's a long shot, but we're hopeful. If wearing a face mask diminishes her chances of getting a scholarship, I can live with that. But not wearing a mask to impress a college coach and suffering a catastrophic injury... that I can't live with. And quite frankly I think one of the reasons my DD plays well at third is BECAUSE she wears a face mask.

I think there are thousands of 3rd basemans that don't wear masks and play just as well as your daughter. In my experience the girls that did get full scholarships, had parents that never talked about it at the age of 14. It shouldn't be about money, it's about her wanting to play. The scholarship is about you. My daughter doesn't want to wear a mask, I have told her she absolutely should if she's afraid, she isn't. We don't talk about scholarships, we talk about the game. Whether she wants to play in College is entirely up to her. She has my support regardless. A 14 year old may feel differently about playing in College when she gets older. There is sacrifice (I can attest to that) and some are happy to stop playing at the High school level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877