Say yes or no to the face mask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
The arguments against fastptich softball players wearing face masks seem to be:

(1) It's a statistically improbable event to get hit in the face with a softball.
(2) You are a wimp if you wear one.
(3) It costs money to buy a face mask.
(4) It is uncomfortable to wear.
(5) The color of the face mask might not match the uniform.wearing

Addressing item number one: Getting in a serious accident with my car is a statistically improbable event, as well. However, if it does happen it might save my life (or my loved ones' lives) or prevent serious injury. I always wear my seat belt.

Addressing item number two: I don't believe that any girl on a fastpitch softball field is a wimp. Enough said.

Addressing item number three: Compared to the damage it may prevent (physical and psychological), this is cheap insurance.

Addressing item number four: With a little searching, any girl can discover a well fitting mask that causes minimal discomfort.

And for item number five, you got me. No girl wants to commit a fashion faux pa on the softball field.

The reason that this "dead horse" keeps being beaten is that there is not an overwhelming consensus either way. I believe that this is because there is no right answer for everyone. Some people take on higher risks than I am willing to incur. I wear my seat belt and I don't smoke. Others don't wear their seat belt and smoke. To each their own.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves