Say yes or no to the face mask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

When DD was in 12u she wore a face mask and when she got to 14u, her team mate told her that some college coaches won't consider a player with a face mask because it shows a sign of weakness. I can believe that because most college games you see on tv, the majority of the players aren't wearing one. She now says she wants to get used to not wearing one because she wants to get used to showcase, she is wearing a mouth guard. I am just not sure if she should wear it or not and if colleges are getting looser about it.

Dec 16, 2012
I don't know about you but I am just not all that thrilled with the thought of a bullet line drive hitting my DD(or any player for that matter) square in the face.

For a pitcher especially, I don't see it as a sign of weakness, I see it as a sign that she isn't totally crazy. It is hard "showcase" when you are layed up in the hospital with a fractured jaw/skull/face,.

Granted my DD is only 11 but I don't forsee her not wearing one while pitching atleast from here on out. And if that is going to keep her from playing for certain schools then so be it.

This girl is most likely never gonna want to pitch again and what do you suppose the bill is gonna be for this doctor visit? $40 "Rip It" mask and it would have just been a headache at most. ..........Just Sayin..............
rMXC7.jpg

Jul 24, 2012
My 14U daughter plays SS almost exclusively and will not wear one. Two weeks ago took a one hopper to the face and ended up with a nice black eye. Still won't wear one. Although she will when she fills in at 3rd under game situations.

Had a girl on her 12U little league team two years ago take a line shot at 2nd and broke her orbital bone.

Sep 18, 2011
My DD is also 14 and plays third base. I require her to wear a face mask. Like a lot of parents, I think my DD has college potential and we are hopeful that she receives some type of athletic scholarship. It's a long shot, but we're hopeful. If wearing a face mask diminishes her chances of getting a scholarship, I can live with that. But not wearing a mask to impress a college coach and suffering a catastrophic injury... that I can't live with. And quite frankly I think one of the reasons my DD plays well at third is BECAUSE she wears a face mask.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
If a coach over looks a player because she's smart enough to protect herself. Its his/her loss. Being cautious has nothing to do with the effectiveness of a pitcher.

Oct 10, 2011
My daughter refuses to wear one now after wearing one for the last 3 years. It's frustrating because I've seen our 1st baseman get rushed to the hospital after getting her teeth knocked out (2 years ago) and our pitcher who is very experienced at 17 just get one right in the eye.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283