Best plans for finding a new school to transfer to..?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
So sorry to hear about your hypothetical situation. Here are some random thoughts.

1) I would explore every possibility to have the one year of eligibility restored. Surely one official AB does not ruin a redshirt season. I am not a doctor, but I am pretty sure your DD has a bad case of tendonitis in her elbow.....you should have that checked.
2) I would spread the word - do an aggressive email/phone/text campaign to any school that your DD may be remotely interested in.
3) College coaches are like a fraternity, and well connected coaches know what other coaches are looking for. Pitchers are always in demand. Get the word out to as many coaches as you can.
4) Widen your geographic search area. You may have to travel outside of your comfort zone to find the right opportunity.
5) Do an updated skills video you can email to coaches.
6) Find a TB team that is doing showcases this Summer and let coaches know you will be there.
7) Going to a smaller school to reestablish herself may be your best option - "one step back, two steps forward"!

Ya I was pushing DD to do #7. Go to a JUCO, get the mojo back, and then hope to land like Riseballs DD.

DD is balking on that due to the fact that it will probably take her across country to JUCO x for 1 year then up and across the country-ish to College y for her last two years of eligibility. She is wincing at that gypsy life travel scenario.

Dec 7, 2011
Given your DD's academic performance her freshman year have you looked at any of the top academic schools? Any chance could qualify for academic money? A lot of coaches would LOVE to have a player who does not need any athletic money!

Exactly - DD is looking HARD to have her tuition majority-covered academically. We are hoping this will make things more attractive to a future coach.

Funny - when DD was in the recruiting/camping/TB world we were told so many times that HC's place allot of value on academically performing players. This did NOT appear to be the case where DD is leaving (not even close). That was a surprise.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Funny - when DD was in the recruiting/camping/TB world we were told so many times that HC's place allot of value on academically performing players. This did NOT appear to be the case where DD is leaving (not even close). That was a surprise.

Hey, where she is leaving they do not appear to be putting a lot of value on players performing on the field either.

Oct 14, 2008
Having had my dd transfer from Valpo to Louisville I can tell you a few things. I dont know all the answers just what applied to us.

1) Once this decision is made chances are there is no turning back. You dont know from day to day at D1 what will happen, injuries, no performance, grades. So my advice is wait until the end of the season to make that announcement to coach. Because once you have nuked that bridge there is no turning back.

2) Once it has been announced you leave that university you are giving up all rights to the monies offered and you in simple terms start all over again in recruiting. The coach will start the ball rolling thru their compliance office and will ask your dd to give them a list of schools she will be contacting. Once the list is approved stay within that list I cannot stress this highly enough. Do not give coach a reason to fight the transfer and make her set a year.

3) Do not muddy the waters. Do not get in a pissing match with the coach or other teams parents. The last thing a coach wants at a potential new school is drama and baggage. Believe me when I say this, these coaches talk. Do not give them anything negative to say. Stay very low key and keep as much off public forums as possible.

4) Have a 3rd party person you trust start doing the leg work now talking to universities finding out if there is interest. You her or other family members cannot do this while she is receiving money from her present university, If you wait until the season is over to start your search you may be to late. Start early.....

5) Money.... here is the killer . The university may have no money for her at time of transfer. Her academic monies may not follow her. So you are starting from a blank slate. But the reason for transfer was to find a better situation so the money isnt the issue. If money is a issue then you may think about trying to mend that bridge between coach and her before you take that leap.

6) Her transfer may affect her senior season and make her have to do 5 instead of 4 years, Make sure all classes transfer. She may be behind or she may even be ahead of the curve you wont know until you start visits and talk to the counselors at the other universities.

The NCAA dosent normally get involved in transfer issues. There are a ton of transfers every year. Be smart stay low key and do your homework and leg work early. Good luck

Tim

Oct 14, 2008
We were told medical red-shirt had to happen before 30% of the season expired. I have not dug into the validity of this.

Medical red shirt is less than 1/3 of the season or so many innings played. This is another issue we have went thru this year. Second week in Feb in Fla we faced Mizzou. Her first AB of the Game and she took a pitch high and in and it pretty much destroyed her hand cutting the two tendons in her left thumb. She was offered a medical red shirt but refused it because coach had no money for next season. They re habbed the hand and she had her first AB back from injury last weekend, So she will finish her last 15 or so games and them move on with life. It is what it is and she made an adult decision. Sucks knowing this is her last year and it will end in a less than normal fashion.... but looking on the bright side I save a crap load of cash not following the team all over the country the last 2 months.

Tim

Sep 18, 2011
Medical red shirt is less than 1/3 of the season or so many innings played. This is another issue we have went thru this year. Second week in Feb in Fla we faced Mizzou. Her first AB of the Game and she took a pitch high and in and it pretty much destroyed her hand cutting the two tendons in her left thumb. She was offered a medical red shirt but refused it because coach had no money for next season. They re habbed the hand and she had her first AB back from injury last weekend, So she will finish her last 15 or so games and them move on with life. It is what it is and she made an adult decision. Sucks knowing this is her last year and it will end in a less than normal fashion.... but looking on the bright side I save a crap load of cash not following the team all over the country the last 2 months.

Tim

Sorry to hear about the injury but glad that she wasn't lost for the season. Good luck to your DD the rest of the way and I'll be rooting for Louisville to make a deep run in the post-season.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

Tim

Tim,

So sorry to hear this. I was wondering what happened and thought it might be an injury. May these last 15 games be all that your dd wished for when she transferred.

Take care,

Darrell

Dec 7, 2011
No doubt Tim - sympathies here too - was looking forward to seeing some post-regular-season sky-bombs from yer DD.

Dec 19, 2012

Tim

Jess was all excited when I told her your dd was in the lineup last weekend. She asked me to find some Louisville games to record.

Dec 19, 2012
Jess was all excited when I told her your dd was in the lineup last weekend. She asked me to find some Louisville games to record.

As a matter of fact, her team's in the Ballard High School Super Prep tournament in Louisville on 4/17 and 4/18 and we were gonna try to catch a game, but your team's at Ole Miss that weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC