Batting averages

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So when DOES an outfielder get charged with an error? It sounds like Timmy Lupus would have a 1.000 fielding percentage.....LMAO

Not sure how I remember this, but in 1975, Jim Rice made no errors in his 90 games in the outfield for the Red Sox. Yet he spent 50 games as the DH because he was the Red Sox fifth-best outfielder defensively. But he never misplayed the ball with his glove or arm that year and had a 1.000 fielding average. So yes, Lupus might've had a 1.000 fielding percentage. MLB has come up with other stats now that measure range. Not convinced that there are any really good stats to measure defensive ability.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Interesting topic. Do you recall in last night's game where the ball might have touched the 3Bs glove as it went into left field and Oklahoma took the lead? My dd was hitting against a rival team in college this spring and did exactly the same two times. Ball was a good crossover to catch but because the ball was driven so hard, it got on 3b too fast. Both times looked exactly like that play last night. Both times the 3B was given an error and two hits were taken away from my dd. I remarked at the time, that 3B will not catch that ball one time in 10 tries. Still, that is the nature of the beast and you have to figure out that at some point, the opposite will happen.

Per the OP and a good average, it really does matter where and who you play. I recall one D-I coach asking my dd what her summer batting average was and she didn't know. So, the coach asked her if she was over.400. DD said she thought that she was. D-I coach said that this is an example of stats that would make her question my dd's stats. Now, dd was only 15 then but it hurt her feeling. She was already playing up at 18s and thought that she was doing fine. D-I coach said to campers that if they play the right level of competition that they won't be .400+ hitters. Guess you can figure out that this coach wasn't interested in my dd.

Jun 11, 2012
DD's HS coach broke her BA's and OB% down into two catagories, lower-mid level pitching and high level pitching. Being DD was 13 playing varsity he expected her BA and OB% to be higher (.400-.420 / .550%) against the lower-mid level pitching than the high level pitching (.320-.340 / .420). He was more pleased with her lower BA and OB% being around .325 / .390% against the higher level of pitching. She finished the year with a .351 BA, a .435 OB% and a .494 SLG% with 95 PA / 77 AB.

As far as the error/hit/mental errors delima, I understand where a pitcher would get upset if a routine pop fly is missed judged and not caught but you have to rule it by the guidelines; a hit. If it's a mental error or a bad/wrong break on a ball I score it a hit with a note of what happened so the coaches can work on it at practice. Same as with a foul/missed bunt for a strike.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Cannonball We were at a showcase event with many college coaches . After a hitting event we were brought together and the coaches were asked about batting averages. Interesting enough they said the same thing . Anyone over 400 would draw attention in that your stats were not correct or you played weak teams. It opened some eyes. I also recall a coach asking a kid, how many ROE's did you have? Joe A at Hillsdale college looks at that one. They have ways to see if you stats are padded.

Oct 14, 2008
Ba ob% slg% and QAB% (Quality at bats) make the world go round. These combined tell the story of a hitter. What I was told years ago by an SEC coach is how I would judge a player based on these. Playing A or Gold level ball at 18 numbers should shake out like this

300 solid hitter
400 Definite college prospect
500 plus. Get em signed before someone else gets em.

Most Numbers drop considerably when entering college. Stats are done officially and for the most part ( yes there is always room for an error ) They are harder on the hitter. In HS ball a hard hit ball that goes off a glove but still scores a run would be a hit plus RBI. In college its an E and and unearned run. And though the batter has done her job added to the total amount of points that AB goes against her numbers.

I would be more interested in her BA with RISP( Runners in scoring position ) Or how many QAB she has against top level pitching.

Tim

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet