Batting Average

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I came to this same conclusion. OBA is always important, but it's more important at younger ages. As they get older, slugging average is more and more important because good defenses limit the bases you get on base-running alone. So a double is much bigger than it used to be. As far as player development, those put-it-in-play girls can be left behind if they don't eventually learn to put the ball in the grass.

I can't find the reference right now, but when determining OPS, OBP should be weighted at 1.8x more than SLG. I found that to be interesting when I read it, but when you think about run expectancy and such, it makes sense.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I can't find the reference right now, but when determining OPS, OBP should be weighted at 1.8x more than SLG. I found that to be interesting when I read it, but when you think about run expectancy and such, it makes sense.

Are you saying (OBA x 1.8) + SLG is a better measure of 'production' than OBA + SLG? Would be curious to see the data behind it. Is this for MLB?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I came to this same conclusion. OBA is always important, but it's more important at younger ages. As they get older, slugging average is more and more important because good defenses limit the bases you get on base-running alone. So a double is much bigger than it used to be. As far as player development, those put-it-in-play girls can be left behind if they don't eventually learn to put the ball in the grass.

Also, fyi, I didn't mean that SLG was more important than OBA. I meant that ''SLG at higher levels'' is more important than ''SLG at lower levels.''

In 10U, it's largely about getting on base and avoiding outs, and if you can put the ball in play and not swing at bad pitches and draw walks, that's a pretty good formula. The other team will often beat itself that way.

At higher levels, when defenses are making routine plays and stole bases are difficult, you won't get by on ground balls and walks. OBA is always important, but you need to find things the defense can't handle, like balls in the gap.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Are you saying (OBA x 1.8) + SLG is a better measure of 'production' than OBA + SLG? Would be curious to see the data behind it. Is this for MLB?

Exactly. I will try to find the article I read this in, but it came from a Sabermetric site (Beyond the Box Score maybe - I'm searching). The claim was that OBP/OBA (I prefer OBP lol) was 1.8x more important than SLG. I don't know, however, if you can simply take OBPx1.8 or if there are other manipulations that need to happen. I'll post up if I find it.

Mar 26, 2013
OPS+ goes way beyond multiplying OBP by 1.8...

On-base Plus Slugging Plus (OPS+) has not gained as much widespread acceptance, but is a more informative metric than OPS. This statistic normalizes a player’s OPS — it adjusts for small variables that might affect OPS scores (e.g. park effects) and puts the statistic on an easy-to-understand scale. A 100 OPS+ is league average, and each point up or down is one percentage point above or below league average. In other words, if a player had a 90 OPS+ last season, that means their OPS was 10% below league average.

The problem with SLG is it exaggerates the value of extra-base hits by weighting them with #bases. My guess is the 1.8x in OPS+ compensates for that, although it doesn't really address the problem.

A while ago, I was playing with an idea for a stat that would combine OBP and SLG by including free passes (like OBP) and scaling the value of each better. I found Weighted On-Base Average (wOBA) does that (see wOBA | FanGraphs Sabermetrics Library), however it uses run values for weights and they're not constant. I'd like to see a general purpose wOBA with a constant set of weights that would be 'good enough' for non-Sabermetricians.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
OPS+ goes way beyond multiplying OBP by 1.8...

The problem with SLG is it exaggerates the value of extra-base hits by weighting them with #bases. My guess is the 1.8x in OPS+ compensates for that, although it doesn't really address the problem.

A while ago, I was playing with an idea for a stat that would combine OBP and SLG by including free passes (like OBP) and scaling the value of each better. I found Weighted On-Base Average (wOBA) does that (see wOBA | FanGraphs Sabermetrics Library), however it uses run values for weights and they're not constant. I'd like to see a general purpose wOBA with a constant set of weights that would be 'good enough' for non-Sabermetricians.

OPS+ requires more info than I have available to me, so I don't try to use it. wOBA is better, but still needs more info than I can get to. GPA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_Production_Average) is what I use as a good approximation of wOBA. The site I linked is just where I found the 1.8x number.

Jan 28, 2013

Does it bother you that wOBA gives batters credit for reaching on an error but not intentional
Walks?

I'd like to see a stat that does a good job of adjusting for the score so that runs in close games count
More than in blowouts.

Mar 26, 2013
Does it bother you that wOBA gives batters credit for reaching on an error but not intentional Walks?
Not everyone includes ROE in wOBA - FanGraphs didn't. Wiki shows it was originally included in The Book.

I'd like to see a stat that does a good job of adjusting for the score so that runs in close games count
More than in blowouts.
Interesting thought. ARod was notorious for padding his stats after the game was decided.

I find it odd OPS+ uses a factor of 1.8 when everything else is to 3 decimal places. I suspect the lack of precision is related to run values changing every year. They then adjust for ballparks before normalizing it onto a percentage scale. Just seems a little uneven to me...

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IMO, some are blurring the distinction between data (i.e., the raw numbers) and data analysis and where statistics fit into the mix.

Definition of STATISTICS - a branch of mathematics dealing with the collection, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of masses of numerical data

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24