Batting Average

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Just wondering how everyone else figures the batting averages for teams. We us the IPad and game changer to score games which takes into effect ROE and FC in calculating the average. But have quickly came to realize that parents only want a bat on ball average. To me this is a very misleading number and is not a true indication of the hitting especially against a weaker team. This is at the high school level.

What is a bat on ball average? You can get a contact % if needed, but base hits are hits.
FC and errors are not hits.

FC means they hit into a situation where they gave the fielder an option to get a base runner out if they felt it was a better option.

E means they should have been out but someone on the defense screwed up and made a mistake. Now there is a whole different argument where a speedy runner can make the defender(s) rush and force a mistake.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I'd like to see a stat that does a good job of adjusting for the score so that runs in close games count
More than in blowouts.

Interesting that you say that. I've been skipping around in The Book a lot, but just went back and re-started from the start and came across Win Values. What they did was create win probability (WP) charts (as in: 1st and 3rd, no out, tie game win probability is 0.978), then examined every offensive event that can occur in a game. Looking at the starting WP and the ending WP from before and after the event, they assigned the difference as a Win Value to the event:

HR
Starting WP: 0.514
Ending WP: 0.638
Win Value: 0.123

Combining that with previously calculated REOI, they give each event a runs/win number. It's kind of complicated (to me), but the end result is a number that takes into account the situation of the event. Lower runs/win means that each run generated by the event is more important than a higher runs/win event. Sac bunts have a lower runs/win number than IBB because a sac bunt is used in a situation where a single run makes a larger difference a situation where an IBB would be issued.

These are all averages (means) calculated from 1999 to 2002 for MLB.

I haven't looked for a batting stat that uses Win Value yet, but it might be useful if you have the other stats to input.

Jun 29, 2013
What is a bat on ball average? You can get a contact % if needed, but base hits are hits.
FC and errors are not hits.

FC means they hit into a situation where they gave the fielder an option to get a base runner out if they felt it was a better option.

E means they should have been out but someone on the defense screwed up and made a mistake. Now there is a whole different argument where a speedy runner can make the defender(s) rush and force a mistake.
Is Bat on ball avg just how many times you hit the ball divided by at bats? I know a lot of parents who think that is a hit, regardless of what the defense does, lol.
Sounds similar to BABIP (batting average on balls in play). I used that stat to show kids at the younger levels not to try and kill the ball every time, when they were getting a hit 90% of the time simply by putting the ball in play it reinforces the idea that we're trying to .avoid strikeouts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild