Fielding % (like batting average except for the defense)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thought to ask how many folks are accumulating Fielding Percentage/stats?
For each player? For the team?

Remember years ago, it was in my mind that I never wanted to have an error.
Don't screw up. Finish the play.
Remember at Long Beach State when the assistant coach Ralph Levi approached me and said
Turbo we have some players stats for you.
I said okay what you got.
He said your Fielding average is .997.
I replied what does .997 mean? 😁
He said,
...it means you missed the ball once.
( that was the first time I ever had a coach approached me about defensive stats. After he explained it to me I was like well duh it's just like hitting stats just never had anyone approach me with that before and the number was so high it didn't make sense because batting averages aren't that high LOL brain fog)

How many softball players/coaches are accumulating fielding average! vs.
how many are focusing on errors?

Can add Fielding % to our softball resumes ✔

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Fielding % is certainly a fielding statistic, you are correct.
Thank you for that confirmation 😁

Ya' know around here what words we use and how we use them can really influence........... the conversation. 😉 tried to be as specific as I could be LOL

radness

Dec 13, 2019
While I do recognize some folks analyze different elements in considering if something is an error or not.
For me if the ball touched my glove and I didn't finish the play that was not acceptable, error.

Jun 8, 2016
While I do recognize some folks recognize different elements in considering if something is an error or not.
For me if the ball touched my glove and I didn't finish the play that was not acceptable, error.
The goal of a defense is stopping the other team from scoring. Giving them free bases (errors) is only one aspect of that.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The goal of a defense is stopping the other team from scoring. Giving them free bases (errors) is only one aspect of that.
Okay.

Do you keep Fielding stats for your daughter?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I would look at it sometimes for the past few games; but because fielding% (unlike batting average) depends on what position you are playing - and if you are moving players around a lot it can be tough find meaning over a season.

So it is more relevant in teams where those roles are better defined and then only for the players that are playing basically the same position the majority of the time.

Jun 8, 2016
Okay.

Do you keep Fielding stats for your daughter?
Team uses GC, so they do. I don't pay for it so I don't get to see the statistics..I don't need statistics to tell me
if she is playing her position correctly (working through the ball, catching it out front and not too deep to her body, taking the correct angles, using the correct arm slot for the play, getting to balls that she should based upon what I know about her range, etc,etc)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I would look at it sometimes for the past few games; but because fielding% (unlike batting average) depends on what position you are playing - and if you are moving players around a lot it can be tough find meaning over a season.
Fielding percentage depends on what position you are playing? Why?
...for discussion

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles