Fielding % (like batting average except for the defense)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Agree not relevant to understanding that accumulated data is used for defensive metric.

However the #of mph is relevant to the detail how that metric is measured.

As an example people measure bat speed. if all they talked about was bat speed without offering the actual
# mph it is a conversation without detail.
Sure if you are interested in what an actual low probability catch looks like in MLB, then visualizing it ( along with seeing the related data), would obviously be necessary. Not sure if that is what you are referring to.

Maybe you and I should try and communicate in another language because English doesn’t seem to be working out…😂

Mar 16, 2019
While I do recognize some folks analyze different elements in considering if something is an error or not.
For me if the ball touched my glove and I didn't finish the play that was not acceptable, error.
I agree. We typically score errors as; glove touches and didn't finish the play on a routine play, anything in the 5 hole, throws in the dirt, throws that sail high/left/right and are uncatchable, dropped flyballs on a routine play, etc. Dives, laying out, etc are not error worthy.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Understand that a throw in the dirt may not be the best throw.
However do think there is an expectation to field those also! 😁👍

Interesting to that point there are times on the field when the defense is purposely throwing the ball to the ground.

Even some coaches have told catchers to bounce it befor 2nd base.
(not me)

Mar 16, 2019
Understand that a throw in the dirt may not be the best throw.
However do think there is an expectation to field those also! 😁👍

Interesting to that point there are times on the field when the defense is purposely throwing the ball to the ground.

Even some coaches have told catchers to bounce it befor 2nd base.
(not me)
Completely agree that a pick out of the dirt is expected to be caught. 👍🏼👍🏼

Jun 8, 2016
Completely agree that a pick out of the dirt is expected to be caught. 👍🏼👍🏼
Depends on where it bounces..there is a reason why IF use their feet to get the long or short hop on GB. Don't really have that option when you are covering second.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles