Batting Average

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Just wondering how everyone else figures the batting averages for teams. We us the IPad and game changer to score games which takes into effect ROE and FC in calculating the average. But have quickly came to realize that parents only want a bat on ball average. To me this is a very misleading number and is not a true indication of the hitting especially against a weaker team. This is at the high school level.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Your stats are only as accurate as your scorer, regardless of which software you are using. Game Changer does some additional calculations that are useful - like quality at bats, which takes into account how many pitches a batter sees and balls put into play. A weakly hit check swing that falls in a hole is a hit, while a rocket shot that almost takes off the 3rd basemans mitt is an out.....but which one would you rather have at the plate in the bottom of the 7th with the game on the line?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Just wondering how everyone else figures the batting averages for teams. We us the IPad and game changer to score games which takes into effect ROE and FC in calculating the average. But have quickly came to realize that parents only want a bat on ball average. To me this is a very misleading number and is not a true indication of the hitting especially against a weaker team. This is at the high school level.

What is a ''bat on ball'' average? I've never heard of that.

There's really no debate about what a batting average is -- Hits/At-bats. ROE and FC are at-bats. They are not hits.

I have heard of teams that add ROE to hits for a batting average, but I don't see the point of doing that after 10U, if at all.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I don't use gamechanger, I use iScore. I would be surprised if they calculate stats differently.

Batting Average is hits/at bats. ROE and FC are not and should not be considered a hit. As a matter of fact, ROE and FC aren't even considered in On Base Percentage, which IMO is a better indication of successful at bats.

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
What is a ''bat on ball'' average? I've never heard of that.

There's really no debate about what a batting average is -- Hits/At-bats. ROE and FC are at-bats. They are not hits.

I have heard of teams that add ROE to hits for a batting average, but I don't see the point of doing that after 10U, if at all.

To be honest, I don't see the point of stats at all at 10U. :)

May 17, 2012
Batting Average in itself is a terrible statistic.

I do agree at 10U that simply putting the ball in play is something to keep track of.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IMO, at 10U keep it simple. If you hit the ball and reach base its considered a hit and everybody's happy, except the pitchers and their parents. Hmm, on second thought, just keep track of the runs and wins and losses. Hmm, upon further reflection, just teach them to hit and throw properly. You can always hand out trophies if anyone complains. Final answer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi