Fielding % (like batting average except for the defense)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Have brought this up before did not grab much attention OR was ignored 🙈 so I'm posting it again. Talking about extraordinary or ordinary. Here is verbiage from the NCAA.
It does not say ordinary.
Screenshot_20220218-062432_Chrome.jpg
Simply commenting that at some point ordinary turns into 'exceptionally good'
As a measuring guide.

imo the measuring guide does not stay the same even before College. There are too much mixture of talent to measure Everybody by ordinary simply because what is average anyway?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
"fielding average". That is a stat related discussion and diving doesn't play any part of that. 🤷‍♀️
Simply as you have already pointed out it does not go against the fielder to dive. * if anything that notation about keeping the scorebook should be emphasized to players and encourage them to dive!
@nikkilugi it is okay if you only see the game through being a scorekeeper.
It is okay to have different perspective.

When we are talking about developing A team's defensive ability we are talking about building Fielding percentage. One of the ways that we become a stronger defense is by diving for the ball.
Glad i recognize how important diving on the field is and how much greater our Fielding stats can be if we utilize diving to get outs. Getting outs is what raises our Fielding percentage and will show in our stats!!!

That is the point about how diving helps. And the good thing as a few others have pointed out it does not hurt your stats but can certainly help our Fielding ability
=better stats.

* let me add this disclaimer I have never said the way scorekeepers should keep the books is wrong.
There has to be parameters for judgment calls. Umpires use them all the time.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
You keep saying it as if I said it but I never said not diving is an error. That it should be expected is my opinion for sure. And that it's extraordinary is yours. OK to disagree but when at that college camp and the coach sees player 1 stand there to watch a hard hit grounder roll by but player 2 dives who do you think she's recruiting?

Depends how far the ball was away from her. :p

We watched a player dive for a ball and come up 15 feet short. D'oh.

Jun 8, 2016
Depends how far the ball was away from her. :p

We watched a player dive for a ball and come up 15 feet short. D'oh.
I once saw a SS in 12U softball jump for a ball over her head which ended up going over the fence..it might have been the most amusing thing I have seen in all of my years of watching ball...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Getting outs on the field also helps in pitching stats. For instance a perfect game does not mean every batter has been struck out.

Defensive plays are reflected in pitching stats. However they don't appear that way unless we look at what the defense does to accumulate those stats for the pitcher.

Lol ....
Sometimes those stats are elevated because people are diving!
Just saying that because the mixture of me talking about myself diving made such a irritation that people had to keep hounding on it. Even though that was my own personal for me standard. I have dove for the ball and caught it so many times that if I miss it,
In glove and out,
it is an error for me.

May 21, 2018
I once saw a SS in 12U softball jump for a ball over her head which ended up going over the fence..it might have been the most amusing thing I have seen in all of my years of watching ball...
Reminds me of my all time favorite play. I almost fell out of my chair laughing at this, and yes I'm a Cardinals fan.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Reminds me of my all time favorite play. I almost fell out of my chair laughing at this, and yes I'm a Cardinals fan.

Ouch!
How about that just hit the ball and let the rules apply where the runners end up and how the play is scored statistically.
(diving attempt no error)🤗

Brings a Little more *fun* to discussion~
Soon to come will be *Robo-umpire 'everywhere'
like cell phones and video cameras.

To follow will be
Robo-scrorekeeper
=parameters timing
the mph of hit ball and distance from players.
* set parameters by feet that will interpret errors or not.
* the ball was hit XYZ fast that determines it was beyond ordinary speed an error should not be applied if Fielder misses the ball.
* Ball hit too far away from the player to be expected that they should field it an error should not be applied if Fielder misses the ball.

Takes out judgement.
Since mental errors are not considered errors in the books anyway,
👉Could Robo- parameters/scorekeeper...
👉Make statistics more valid?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Ouch!
How about that just hit the ball and let the rules apply where the runners end up and how the play is scored statistically.
(diving attempt no error)🤗

Brings a Little more fun to discussion~
Soon to come will be *Robo-umpire 'everywhere'
like cell phones and cameras.

To follow will be parameters timing the ball hit mph and distance from players.
* set parameters by feet that will interpret errors or not.
: the ball was hit XYZ fast that determines it was beyond ordinary speed an error should not be applied if Fielder misses the ball.
* Ball hit too far away from the player to be expected that they should field it an error should not be applied if Fielder misses the ball.

Takes out judgement.
Since mental errors are not considered errors in the books anyway,
Could that...???
Make statistics more valid?
As I mentioned before, they have statistics (in MLB at least) which measure how good a fielder is based upon a number of factors including batted ball speed.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
As I mentioned before, they have statistics (in MLB at least) which measure how good a fielder is based upon a number of factors including batted ball speed.
And parameters distance from player?
What is the ball hit mph parameters how do they apply what speed is the measurements by?

Reason I brought up Robo umpire happened to see someone speaking about that last night and the influence on the game that has. Would be interesting to see in the future that maybe something that will be built into softball complexes and could include further things like Robo scorekeeper

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles