Bat wars: Miken NXT vs. LS Onex

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
DD got a Miken NXT a couple of weeks ago. Her former TB coach (and still current hitting instructor) really wants her to have a Onex (he should buy it, right?). So tomorrow he's going to take some measurements, bat speed and ball exit speeds (or whatever it's called) and we will try to determine a winner. Not sure if it's as simple as that but it's really the only objective testing we can do. Place your wagers. :)

Oct 10, 2011
DD got a Miken NXT a couple of weeks ago. Her former TB coach (and still current hitting instructor) really wants her to have a Onex (he should buy it, right?). So tomorrow he's going to take some measurements, bat speed and ball exit speeds (or whatever it's called) and we will try to determine a winner. Not sure if it's as simple as that but it's really the only objective testing we can do. Place your wagers. :)
I'm betting Onex unless you've been able to get hundreds of swings on the NXT.

Sep 18, 2011
I'm betting Onex unless you've been able to get hundreds of swings on the NXT.

She's been to 3 college camps in the last two weekends with the NXT, all with 2 hour hitting clinics. Plus she's had at least two sessions with her hitting instructor. I'm guessing AT LEAST 200 swings with the NXT. I have to say that to my eyes I was underwhelmed with the NXT... until last night. I was pitching front toss to her (chuck and duck!!) and i was terrified.

Oct 10, 2011
She's been to 3 college camps in the last two weekends with the NXT, all with 2 hour hitting clinics. Plus she's had at least two sessions with her hitting instructor. I'm guessing AT LEAST 200 swings with the NXT. I have to say that to my eyes I was underwhelmed with the NXT... until last night. I was pitching front toss to her (chuck and duck!!) and i was terrified.

The Onex should perform better because it costs more:)

Nov 23, 2012
Onex will have better performance until it breaks or looses it's pop.
Have her TB coach buy the Onex and only use for warm weather tournaments.
Keep the Miken in the bag as a backup she'll need it.

Sep 18, 2011
The bat war ended up being kind of fun. Coach (who is also an NCAA Division 2 assistant with access to lots of bats) brought several different Onex bats (34/25, 34/24, 33/24, and 33/23). Last season DD used a 33/23 Xeno, but a few weeks ago she got a 34/24 Miken Freak. Coach also brought a 34/24 CF5. I remember seeing a CF4 as well. Think that was it. The overall winner of "average ball speed" was the 34/25 Onex. But the Miken and the 34/24 Onex were right there. CF5 was slightly lower, and the light 33/23 Onex was significantly lower still (about 5mhp). Given that the Miken "probably" isn't even fully broken in, I just don't see any reason to change. Her top with the Miken was only 1 mph slower than her top with the 34/25 Onex.

I am puzzled that the lighter models (almost certain there was another 23 ounce bat that was tested) were significantly lower. Figured the increased bat speed would compensate for the small decrease in weight, but apparently that wasn't the case. But of course I know from reading other threads that measuring ball speed off of a bat is notoriously tricky and notoriously inaccurate.

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Well, being that he is an assistant coach for a college team and brought a ton of Onex sizes and weights...makes me wonder if he has an alliance with LS thru the school. Which maybe is why he wanted your dd to get an Onex...haha. And you probably saved over $150 bucks getting the NXT over an Onex.
A lot of the top of line bats are pretty much head to head in performance. Comes down to comfort and feel. Dont jump on me people, I said "most" perform head to head.

The lighter bats will not drive thru the ball like heavier bats will. A player can only swing a bat productively so fast. Just because a player swings a 24oz bat, doesnt necessarily mean they will swing a 23 faster. If that wasnt the case, you would see everybody trying to swing 20oz bats. Instead, you swing the heaviest bat you can that will NOT slow your bat speed.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
She's an 8 year old lefty slapper and the ball exit speed was 87. Definitely had an off day. Typically she's in the 90s. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan