Bat Shaving...Am I naive

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
i will get my DD an illegal bat if all 3 of these happen:

1. Hades freezes over. Another polar vortex or two and that may actually happen.

2. Pigs fly. This will take some genetic engineering ---

3. CoreSoftball20 sells illegal bats. May be the least likely

Dec 11, 2010
Only if Josh next day airs a lynk spyder so it can be properly documented and inspected frame by frame with a detailed analysis by FFS to critique the lack of sequence the crows use in the short to and long through pecking.

YES! This!^^^^^^^^

May 24, 2013
So Cal
i will get my DD an illegal bat if all 3 of these happen:

1. Hades freezes over. Another polar vortex or two and that may actually happen.

2. Pigs fly. This will take some genetic engineering ---

3. CoreSoftball20 sells illegal bats. May be the least likely

I tend to combine 1 and 2, and say, "When frozen pigs fly in hell!!"

Apr 8, 2013
Rolling doesn't bother me, because the bat isn't being changed from its original specs. It is just broken in quicker and evenly. Shaving the barrel down is a blatant attempt to alter the bats design.
I'd bet that 75% of the bats used in my old men's league where either shaved out, or at a minimum rolled...

Agree with this. Rolled doesn't improve performance beyond manufacturer's specs, at least how I understand it. Also, I thought that when a bat goes through the bat testing process they roll the bat to give maximum readings/results and approve/reject based upon those results.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Agree with this. Rolled doesn't improve performance beyond manufacturer's specs, at least how I understand it. Also, I thought that when a bat goes through the bat testing process they roll the bat to give maximum readings/results and approve/reject based upon those results.

While rolling and shaving are both illegal, rolling is like doing 70MPH in a 65 MPH zone, while bat shaving is like going 120MPH...

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
For everybody who says that rolling a bat isn't a big deal (besides being illegal)...

Rolling breaks down the fibers of the composite material, making the bat flex more and increasing batted ball speed. While bats do tend to "open up" with normal use, and manufacturer's do test bats that have been broken-in in a predictable manner that simulates actual use, there's no way of knowing for sure what Joe Blow the Bat Doctor did with that bat in the confines of his basement lab.

The bat doctors aren't a simulating "normal" break-in, with standardized forces applied for uniform, predictable results. They're just mashing the crap out of the bat, possibly well beyond any normal break-in point and possibly stressing the material right up to the point of fatigue.

Not only can these bats perform higher than the rules allow, they can also pose a risk to other players through breakage, if the material was stressed enough.

Sep 18, 2011
Tom - I would report the conversation to the coach of the team conducting the tryout and would also notify the sanctioning bodies (ASA, USSSA, etc.) in your area. Blow that whistle as loud as you can.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
DD#2 played in a NSA Western World Series in Washington this summer - 12U, took a hard line drive off the shin while pitching. She was out for the rest of the game. The tournament director took the girls bat and sent it to the manufacture to be tested, they took my info as well and followed up with us a couple weeks later. The bat wasn't tampered with. I had no idea they did this when an injury occurs.

I believe NSA (at least, in SP) has a rule which requires the confiscation of a bat when a defender is injured with a batted ball. May not apply in the FP game, but that is the TD's call.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Rolling doesn't bother me, because the bat isn't being changed from its original specs. It is just broken in quicker and evenly. Shaving the barrel down is a blatant attempt to alter the bats design.
I'd bet that 75% of the bats used in my old men's league where either shaved out, or at a minimum rolled...

Actually, it is being changed. The bats are meant to break down through normal use. Rolling does not emulate the natural progress.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma