DD is ready for a new bat...what to get?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Right now, she's swinging a 1-piece Easton Synergy (2011, I think?) 33/23. She's a power hitter, 5'7" tall (125 lbs), and swings the current bat like it's a twig. So...we are looking for another 33 inch but with a drop 9. She really has her heart set on the new Xeno's BUT it's a two piece bat, right? I'm concerned about her being a power hitter using a two-piece bat. We will be going tomorrow to pick up a 2013 Xeno 33/24 that they put on hold for us, but I would like for her to at least look at some other drop 9 bats.

What's your take on this? Are there any other one piece drop 9 bats that she should look at? I've asked her hitting instructor for advice (via email since we'll be missing lessons this week)...hoping to hear from him soon. :)

Edited to add: DD is 13 years old...will be 14 in February.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Look at the 454, Freak NXT, or Rockettech.
All would be a weapon of mass destruction in a power hitters hands.

Oct 30, 2012
I agree the Worth 454 is a great bat, the Easton Stealth’s are great bats as well, seen plenty home runs with them, my daughter is a power hitter as well, she is using the Miken Freak Light -12, 33 - 21, with the lighter weight she is able to get a faster swing, if you are playing competitive travel ball the pitchers are getting faster, may need a faster swing.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I agree the Worth 454 is a great bat, the Easton Stealth’s are great bats as well, seen plenty home runs with them, my daughter is a power hitter as well, she is using the Miken Freak Light -12, 33 - 21, with the lighter weight she is able to get a faster swing, if you are playing competitive travel ball the pitchers are getting faster, may need a faster swing.

She's already seeing 60-65 mph pitches...fast but also good movement pitches. She's a right handed batter, and I can't tell you how many fouls go left over the 3B dugout and beyond. They try to get her on the inside. She tries to wait but with these fast pitches, timing is everything. :) Anyhow, we think with a drop 9, it will help her with timing. If it doesn't work as well, she will still have her drop 10. :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
She's already seeing 60-65 mph pitches...fast but also good movement pitches. She's a right handed batter, and I can't tell you how many fouls go left over the 3B dugout and beyond. They try to get her on the inside. She tries to wait but with these fast pitches, timing is everything. :) Anyhow, we think with a drop 9, it will help her with timing. If it doesn't work as well, she will still have her drop 10. :)

Mine is a dead pull hitter, everyone on the right side of the field might as well just sit down, it ain't coming that way. :(

DD swings a -9 RT, don't set your mind that the added weight will solve your "puller". I don't think a drop 1 would help mine. Lol

Sep 18, 2011
Mak - in a very similar situation. DD just turned 14. Almost 5'7" and 135. Power hitter. She currently has the 33/23 Xeno but needs a new bat. My dilemma is whether to go with a drop 9 (33/24) or stcick with a drop 10 (34/24). Did you give any thought to a 34/24and if so why did you decide that a 33/24 would be better? Just curious. I am spending way too much time thinking about 33/24 vs. 34/24... is there a 12 step program I can atend?? Having said that, I really want to know what the advantages/disadvantages are. thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

Oct 10, 2011
A lot of new bats come out in two weeks if you want to spend the money...Easton power Brigade (1 or 2 piece) Miken (Rev-x is their new one piece or the Triad 2 piece) Anderson...
Lots of good choices above too.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Mak - in a very similar situation. DD just turned 14. Almost 5'7" and 135. Power hitter. She currently has the 33/23 Xeno but needs a new bat. My dilemma is whether to go with a drop 9 (33/24) or stcick with a drop 10 (34/24). Did you give any thought to a 34/24and if so why did you decide that a 33/24 would be better? Just curious. I am spending way too much time thinking about 33/24 vs. 34/24... is there a 12 step program I can atend?? Having said that, I really want to know what the advantages/disadvantages are. thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

LOL. I already went down that road too. In regards to length, both hitting coach AND TB coach said that she didn't *need* the length...her arms are long enough to get the outside pitches. As for the weight, she's just a fast swinger, and they think that an extra ounce will help her with the timing...it may be a VERY VERY minute change, but it could help just that much. She swung a teammate's 33/24 during batting practice, and she rocked it. Loved the feel and weight of it...said it was just like when she first got her old bat (then she went from a -11.5 to -10). So...we'll see. I am mainly concerned with the one-piece vs. two-piece bats, AND I have another thing to add...do we go with end-loaded or balanced??? Never thought it would be this complex. ;)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
For what it is worth... unless your playing all winter I wouldn't buy a new bat now. Check out what a lot of us talk about with implimenting 26-30 oz slow pitch bats in our winter BP. Do it, and I will guarantee you won't be wondering if you should stick with 23 or go 24 ounces. Your dd will fire any bat from 20-30 ounces with speed and power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd