barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just an FYI. I dont make any money for this either. My daughter plays in college. I have coached travel ball for years and still work with several of those players that are also playing college ball.

The most I ever got paid is one time a dad was hanging out with us. He left for a little while and came back with a pizza and a six pack.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I think its a combination of the 2 pivots while the front side catches the swing.. Rich has demonstrated on multiple occasions he can't move forward (catcher/pitcher) without keeping all the weight back over the rear leg.. Since he can't move forward (catcher/pitcher) in space without giving up the rear leg/hip and shifting the weight to the front leg no one else can as well... He shows multiple videos of folks he claims have shifted to the front leg before swinging but has no proof.. The only way I can tell is how they handle the off-speed pitch..
He also seems very off balance and most all of his swings cause him to fall over. My personal belief is that he is overbaking the instruction to get hitters to get most of the way there. So he is teaching an extreme that works to get most students to a middle ground that works.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I like the way you are coming at this. Trying to learn with a sense of caution. Its refreshing to have this type of conversation.

The two engine thing is where I differ from some others. They can be referred to as engines but, I agree with you, in that they have to work together. Some people will say the hips lead. Others will say the hands lead or trigger the swing. In my opinion they both work together and launch simultaneously. You first have to get fully stretched ( I refer to it as max coil but it is more than that). Once in that launch position as soon as its go time, you go. Whether you think about it as hips(core) or hands it really doesnt matter. Go is go. Both ends of the stretch are activated at that time.

What typically causes barrel dump is that the top of the machine (hands) are firing but the bottom (hips or core) are lagging behind.
Thanks, i am in it for nothing other than learning. i may take a stab at a concept to try and question someones theory, but mostly just trying to get my DD into game ready mode. She was always really good and best average on her team. She moved up to an A ball club and sucked. I saw it just never addressed it, and know now she wont advance without fixing her swing.

TBH, i also am having a very hard time understanding the hips. There were conversations on the obliques and what they do and the legs and pelvis and it devolved quickly. I feel a scrunch.

I think the hands hold on for dear life so they don't get left behind and the 'core' (whatever that means) pulls everything thru. As seen by the rear leg anchor and getting 'pulled' forwards. I don't see how the rear leg is very active at all. Other than keeping the body on course and getting the body coiled into or 'separated' before launch.

I agree on the barrel dump, my DD did that. That was my first exposure to FFS. I never understood why he always led with a question, but now that he is gone i get it. He was really trying to have people understand it for themselves. I find that my wife hates this as well. She can't discuss (argue) things very well. ;)

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Just an FYI. I dont make any money for this either. My daughter plays in college. I have coached travel ball for years and still work with several of those players that are also playing college ball.

The most I ever got paid is one time a dad was hanging out with us. He left for a little while and came back with a pizza and a six pack.
I am hoping to get my DD to college, at least thats what she says she wants, so i will help as much as she is willing to learn.

Pizza and a sixer is waaaay more than enough payment.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I agree as well. Even though everyone touts the truth, seems like more egos than it's worth.

Is this a coaching thing that everyone is trying to get paid for their knowledge? I guess just being a father, maybe i am missing why it is so critical to be right on a forum like this or twitter or whatever.

Exactly, everyone is trying to make money, therefor they "create" a different aspect to sell that info.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I like the way you are coming at this. Trying to learn with a sense of caution. Its refreshing to have this type of conversation.

The two engine thing is where I differ from some others. They can be referred to as engines but, I agree with you, in that they have to work together. Some people will say the hips lead. Others will say the hands lead or trigger the swing. In my opinion they both work together and launch simultaneously. You first have to get fully stretched ( I refer to it as max coil but it is more than that). Once in that launch position as soon as its go time, you go. Whether you think about it as hips(core) or hands it really doesnt matter. Go is go. Both ends of the stretch are activated at that time.

What typically causes barrel dump is that the top of the machine (hands) are firing but the bottom (hips or core) are lagging behind.

Yes I like this as well that they both work together. There isn't much to swinging, springy fascia and muscles work as a group to create one thing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
He also seems very off balance and most all of his swings cause him to fall over. My personal belief is that he is overbaking the instruction to get hitters to get most of the way there. So he is teaching an extreme that works to get most students to a middle ground that works.

I had company from Florida staying with me and I was watching TM's clinic. The first thing he said when he saw Richard swing was, that guy has no balance.

May 12, 2016
Exactly, everyone is trying to make money, therefor they "create" a different aspect to sell that info.
Except for those guys(Albert, Mike, Nelson etc) that actually make more money then all of us put together.. they're not selling us cheap information :)

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Rich, doesn't know the difference between a push or a pull.. How could he, since he's never felt fyb.

9qKf1gH.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi