barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I understand that. They must feel that that is most important to their success not discounting that. However as you and others have said there are others things which contribute to their HL swing which they are not discussing, correct?

You have seen the tee swing I posted correct? Out of curiousity I sent it to TM to see what he said. He told me I TTB'ed nicely and with the exception of my load being a bit too quick, it was good. Now this isn't to say the swing is good or bad but only to point out that I don't think about TTB or torquing the handle or whatever, only thing I ever think about when I hit is "exploding" to the ball. Yet he saw it in my swing. For some it may be a natural action based upon some other feel, for example "down to" ..For me the feel was always to try and be as explosive as possible. For some it may not "natural" in which case some work to improve the hand usage may show an improvement in barrel path.

Yea, TM has stated the same for every high level hitter yet none of his claimed hitters matched the high level hitters :cool:

Jun 8, 2016
Yea, TM has stated the same for every high level hitter yet none of his claimed hitters matched the high level hitters :cool:
and like I said before I am not sure that you can piecemeal a HL hitter together using drills...Not sure why his marketing BS upsets
you guys so much.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
and like I said before I am not sure that you can piecemeal a HL hitter together using drills...

He put more fear in to the dads that if they didn't ttb like he taught they were pushing the hands.. So many jumped onto I need to swing from one leg and ttb... Maybe he doesn't have all the answers since he can't move forward into a leveraged position before swinging :cool:

I3lbNro.gif

Jun 8, 2016
He put more fear in to the dads that if they didn't ttb like he taught they were pushing the hands.. So many jumped onto I need to swing from one leg and ttb... Maybe he doesn't have all the answers since he can't move forward into a leveraged position before swinging :cool:

I3lbNro.gif
Yes IMO the main problem with his personal demos, and with how some are teaching young hitters with his "pattern" is I don't think being "1-legged" e.g being 60/40, 70/30, 55/45 or whatever (depends on the pitch and the hitter's style) at launch has to be mutually exclusive from moving out properly e.g. athletically e.g. balanced. 30 years ago people would say a hitter is getting too heavy on their front foot. Not being "1-legged" enough is just a recycle of that imo. When I hear you say leveraged position to me that is just they are in a good balanced position in order to launch properly.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

I3lbNro.gif

He hasn't done that for years yet here we are talking about it again... Feels like groundhog day.

May 16, 2019
I'm still learning about hitting with every kid I'm blessed to work with. I had a lot more access to Richard before the Arron Judge announcement but..

My understanding is..

The whole purpose to TTB is to get as much force and directed collision with the ball with as much time and space as possible. As a hitter why wouldn't I want to do that? I think of TTB like a hairpin turn on a roller coaster other forces are at work helping achieve maximum speed.

As I was searching, to me most hitting methods seemed focused about trying to get the player to not to do things
Dump the barrel
lunge
drop or push the hands
Keep the front shoulder in

To me this was more about doing things is a way that depended on surrounding body parts to achieve the swing. Isn't that how we walk and run or jump in a systematic coordinated way? Walking , running and jumping is a one legged event that switches legs

I tell my kids 2 things, I want little girls to hit like big girls and what do you call a 220' pop up?

Good luck Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell