barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If the front side contraction is the driver, what causes the rear hip to get thrust forward?

The obliques run on both sides. The front side (pitchers side) is more engaged once leveraged... Of course when reacting all available resources are used.

Aug 20, 2017
Did y’all notice CYs front foot in that swing? It was on the way down and the pitcher still had the ball in his hand.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The obliques run on both sides. The front side (pitchers side) is more engaged once leveraged... Of course when reacting all available resources are used.

That didn't really answer my question. If I'm contracting across the front of my body to pull the knob down, what muscles are being used - and when - to cause the rear hip to get thrust forward?

May 3, 2014
Yelich's foot starts down early but he hovers out.
K8o26C.gif

Aug 20, 2017
That didn't really answer my question. If I'm contracting across the front of my body to pull the knob down, what muscles are being used - and when - to cause the rear hip to get thrust forward?
The front hip/core controls the back hip. Once the core/torso is committed to the swing the upper body will end resistance pulling the hands down and slot tight to the shoulder. Posture, tilt, rotation take over from there. The brain has already calculated the ball/bat collision prior to the core/torso committing to the swing. Anchor the rear scap, anchor the back foot, advance forward

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Don't be ridiculous. Gravity helps us run.
Gravity pulls you toward the ground. Lean forward and don't stick a leg out and you'll fall on your face. If you want to accelerate forward, lean forward. Lean more, accelerate more.
The reciprocal motion is necessary because the force exerted by the leg on the pelvis is not in the center of mass. The force exerted by the leg is pependicular to the line of the pelvis so the force causes the pelvis to rotate (torque) The upper body's reciprocal motion arrests that rotation.
"Thanks to a beauty of physics called ground reaction force each time you plant a foot, there’s a push back up in the opposite direction. The more force behind the step and push, the more oomph you get from each step. So you can think of running as a fall, a catch, and a press. "

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The front hip/core controls the back hip. Once the core/torso is committed to the swing the upper body will end resistance pulling the hands down and slot tight to the shoulder. Posture, tilt, rotation take over from there. The brain has already calculated the ball/bat collision prior to the core/torso committing to the swing. Anchor the rear scap, anchor the back foot, advance forward

Would it be correct to describe it as the front hip pulls the back hip?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie