barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Nothing replaces good timing! I took from it the “feel” of down to helps the “feel” of being shorter and helps timing. So I guess we go out and start chopping balls off the front of the plate 😁

Except the feel becomes real when adding the cross line contraction :)..

kpp0IQf.gif

J1c5pt0.png

Dn3mgsS.gif

Aug 20, 2017
Except the feel becomes real when adding the cross line contraction :)..

kpp0IQf.gif

J1c5pt0.png

Dn3mgsS.gif
Obviously must teach the body to sequence correctly to allow the “down to” to level out then up and stay behind ball. My issue with teaching down to to young hitters would be the hands/upper body jumping the sequence.

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Obviously must teach the body to sequence correctly to allow the “down to” to level out then up and stay behind ball. My issue with teaching down to to young hitters would be the hands/upper body jumping the sequence.

Which is why you teach them how to get into the hitting position first :)

YLZp7Uu.gif

May 3, 2014
Yelich from Bonds - top hand drives barrel down to ball. Deep contact. Not out in front. Good drill and feel. Drill was done spread out two legged. Put that same feel in game swing one legged with bottom hand action and path much different but feel the same.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Is this the launch move in your pattern?

Yep, get to the hitting position before the hands get pulled "down to" Yelich doesn't always get there early enough but discussed one swing segment where he was in the process of getting there and the pitcher still hadn't released the pitch. I am guessing from a hitters perspective he felt like he had all day to hit.

k4xI3PF.gif

YLZp7Uu.gif

J1c5pt0.png

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Unfortunately some will get nothing from it, it doesn't fit their agenda ... Bonds/Yelich used this drill to clean up his barrel path.. why? Yelich talks about being short to the ball. Why do suppose the greats and current players practice "down to" .. well one of the best in the game today and one of the best ever tells you exactly why in this interview. One thing very obvious to me is the act of improving barrel path revolves around "down to", "short to", "staying on top". A lot of talk about back spin as well, prevention of top spin and hooking the ball, the intention of hitting line drive missiles (not moon shots). It was a good interview. Oh yeah another thing that's obvious, not much respect towards those instructors on Twitter demoing barrel path.. I'm not sure who he's referring to though.

Reactions: TDS
Aug 20, 2017
Yelich from Bonds - top hand drives barrel down to ball. Deep contact. Not out in front. Good drill and feel. Drill was done spread out two legged. Put that same feel in game swing one legged with bottom hand action and path much different but feel the same.
Not palm up though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd