barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Lol! Very similar conversation... Complete opposite of ABAF. Much of this boils down to how weight distribution is understood. The movement of COG and pressure at the ground are different functions.
I'm missing something. When I first came to this site with my DD's swing I was told she was ABAF.. basically she was swinging and shifting at the same time. That sounds very similar to what you are describing. And I know that I am not piecing all this together, I know you don't subscribe to an ABAF swing, it's just how I see and understand it

Also executing launch prior to toe tap does not seem the most effective. JMHO, I come back to the athletic posture/position. I think about throwing a ball.. I would not want to make that movement(arm coming forward) prior to foot plant.

Apr 11, 2015
Also, how does one measure another's COM in order to determine if it's shifted forward too much, too little, or just right?

So were you referring to how far the COM moves toward the pitcher ??
IDK, you stated...
He is shifting his COM F into both legs while the core (obliques) are being stretched YB against it.. Like I have said many times before one should focus the movements within the s-plane vs rear leg to front leg frontal plane..
So if he's "shifting his COM Forward"....what is his COM, and how do I measure how much it's shifting forward....so I can determine if a hitter "shifted forward too much, too little, or just right?"

Not sure why that is so hard to answer if that's the criteria you use(d) every day to determine if a hitter is FYB.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm missing something. When I first came to this site with my DD's swing I was told she was ABAF.. basically she was swinging and shifting at the same time. That sounds very similar to what you are describing. And I know that I am not piecing all this together, I know you don't subscribe to an ABAF swing, it's just how I see and understand it

Also executing launch prior to toe tap does not seem the most effective. JMHO, I come back to the athletic posture/position. I think about throwing a ball.. I would not want to make that movement(arm coming forward) prior to foot plant.

Never said launching before toe touch was ideal. Just that its feasible. And if you have everything else correct it will still work out. And again we are talking about micro seconds here.

I dont personally remember your daughters swing and rarely comment on youth hitters because it tends to get contentious. Not saying I never do, just that I prefer not to. ABAF is moving ALL weight from all back to all forward. If a hitter maintains dynamic balance that wont happen. I see ABAF as being unbalanced.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
IDK, you stated...

So if he's "shifting his COM Forward"....what is his COM, and how do I measure how much it's shifting forward....so I can determine if a hitter "shifted forward too much, too little, or just right?"

Not sure why that is so hard to answer if that's the criteria you use(d) every day to determine if a hitter is FYB.

Yea, I can see where this is going now.. We can be done since I can't match up with the use of proper vocab... So chalk it up to different patterns that don't play together.

McM8euM.gif

k4xI3PF.gif

May 12, 2016
Never said launching before toe touch was ideal. Just that its feasible. And if you have everything else correct it will still work out. And again we are talking about micro seconds here.

I dont personally remember your daughters swing and rarely comment on youth hitters because it tends to get contentious. Not saying I never do, just that I prefer not to. ABAF is moving ALL weight from all back to all forward. If a hitter maintains dynamic balance that wont happen. I see ABAF as being unbalanced.
Understood. And I didn't figured you would remember or anybody for that matter. When I posted she needed a lot of help despite being of the top hitters with pop. on a very good team.

This was the first swing I ever recorded of her... no instruction back then, but this was her best years hitting.. go figure, so much wrong with this swing lol

This one a year later..

A lot of technical flaws of course, but she still had success and hit much better against top pitching vs bad pitching. Anyway not about my DD, but fun to look back :)

So we both agree on FYB.. even though the swing and shift being one entity confuses me a little. That's ok, no point spinning wheels because I don't quite get it. or see it for that matter.

May 12, 2016
[QUOTE="TDS, post: 563756, member: 2008"

k4xI3PF.gif

[/QUOTE]
Again could be my understanding of one legged.. but I see in this video the core powering the swing from a balanced position leveraging both legs. The back leg looks like it's being dragged forward, succumbing forces generated elsewhere. I do not see any rear leg drive at all. I'm no expert, just want I see in this specific swing.

Reactions: TDS
Apr 11, 2015
Understood. And I didn't figured you would remember or anybody for that matter. When I posted she needed a lot of help despite being of the top hitters with pop. on a very good team.

This was the first swing I ever recorded of her... no instruction back then, but this was her best years hitting.. go figure, so much wrong with this swing lol

This one a year later..

A lot of technical flaws of course, but she still had success and hit much better against top pitching vs bad pitching. Anyway not about my DD, but fun to look back :)

So we both agree on FYB.. even though the swing and shift being one entity confuses me a little. That's ok, no point spinning wheels because I don't quite get it. or see it for that matter.

julray, since we're just having a rousing discussion (not an arousing one...lol), as you "look back" at your DD's swings in hindsight, can you see some "over" the rear shoulder in her swings now - that forces her to "push" with her arms/hands more - instead of a path coming from "under" her rear shoulder - that might allow her body to "pull" the barrel to the ball a little better?

Have a good evening....we'll talk later. 🤙

May 12, 2016
julray, since we're just having a rousing discussion (not an arousing one...lol), as you "look back" at your DD's swings in hindsight, can you see some "over" the rear shoulder in her swings now - that forces her to "push" with her arms/hands more - instead of a path coming from "under" her rear shoulder - that might allow her body to "pull" the barrel to the ball a little better?

Have a good evening....we'll talk later. 🤙
Absolutely I see it.. that's my fault. If I could go back now.. the first thing I would teach her is a better FYB, 2nd Posture, posture posture. Obviously you understand why I say this by looking at these swings (forget about our differences with TTB for a bit)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs