barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
He is shifting his COM F into both legs while the core (obliques) are being stretched YB against it.. Like I have said many times before one should focus the movements within the s-plane vs rear leg to front leg frontal plane..
Aren't one's obliques in their COM?

Also, how does one measure another's COM in order to determine if it's shifted forward too much, too little, or just right?

May 12, 2016
Thank you, I appreciate the discussion also...and I'll try to remember that when replying to you. But I've been told I'm "condescending" the way I write some of my posts, so just want to make sure I'm not telling anyone anything, and that they're simply my opinions about things, and probably not worth the bandwidth taken to write them in. 🤭

I'm not sure "momentum based" is exactly how I view it...but I do want some momentum in or into the swing at contact. Rather than simply turning in one spot, and hoping that it's strictly rotation that will get the job done....if that makes any sense as well. 🙃
Don't worry about it, if too condescending we can get pattar to add you to the asso list. Yep we have one of these now, so far pattar and I make it up :).

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Risky? Athletes can stop on a dime and establish balance with ease, stop balance pivot go.. Stride forward, control your tempo and land in a balanced position. I don't think that's risky. IMO, it's more risky to have one foot in the air and having to launch before toe tap, I wouldn't want to be caught in that position.. or misreading the pitch and having adapt to a change up when my back foot is spent.

See, that's the point. When the swing is the shift, you don't have to worry about it. Ideally the hitter will be approximately at toe touch when launch occurs. But if he is a little early getting there, he can resist a little and still launch (provided he is "yet back"). If he is a little late, the swing will plant that front foot when it needs to. Once you figure it out, timing becomes less about being in a certain position and more about launch. Remember, we are dealing with micro-seconds here...

May 12, 2016
See, that's the point. When the swing is the shift, you don't have to worry about it. Ideally the hitter will be approximately at toe touch when launch occurs. But if he is a little early getting there, he can resist a little and still launch (provided he is "yet back"). If he is a little late, the swing will plant that front foot when it needs to. Once you figure it out, timing becomes less about being in a certain position and more about launch. Remember, we are dealing with micro-seconds here...
I don't understand how the swing can be in the shift when the COM has already shifted during the FYB process. Swing being in the shift sounds like ABAF to be?

Edit: I think this conversation is already happening between TDS and MB lol

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Aren't one's obliques in their COM?

Also, how does one measure another's COM in order to determine if it's shifted forward too much, too little, or just right?

What would you call the COM moving forward ? If one learns to create the movement within the s-plane the amount of weight on both sides of the body (catcher/pitcher) are maintained... Or are you referring to how far the COM moves toward the pitcher ?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't understand how the swing can be in the shift when the COM has already shifted during the FYB process. Swing being in the shift sounds like ABAF to be?

Edit: I think this conversation is already happening between TDS and MB lol

Lol! Very similar conversation... Complete opposite of ABAF. Much of this boils down to how weight distribution is understood. The movement of COG and pressure at the ground are different functions.

Apr 11, 2015
What would you call the COM moving forward ? If one learns to create the movement within the s-plane the amount of weight on both sides of the body (catcher/pitcher) are maintained... Or are you referring to how far the COM moves toward the pitcher ?
I have no idea, I think "COM" is just a nonsensical, confusing, and useless term when it comes to trying to apply it to hitting, and why I don't use it, and asked you the questions since you threw it out there.

Same goes for the "s-plane" ("c-plane", "t-plane" or aero-plane) terminology when it comes to hitting. Yes, I used to use them occasionally in response to when others used them...but guess what? I never once used any of them in a cage or on the field somewhere, so I think it somewhat useless to try to razzle-dazzle folks with them here.

You said the COM moves forward, and all I asked was what you defined it as, and how you measure its movement(s) if that's what you want me to look at.

Apr 11, 2015
Lol! Very similar conversation... Complete opposite of ABAF. Much of this boils down to how weight distribution is understood. The movement of COG and pressure at the ground are different functions.
All just sleight of hand word tricks to try to pull the wool over someones eyes is all. Not my first word-smithing rodeo. Lol...

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I have no idea, I think "COM" is just a nonsensical, confusing, and useless term when it comes to trying to apply is to hitting, and why I don't use it, and asked you the questions since you threw it out there.

Same goes for the "s-plane" ("c-plane", "t-plane" or aero-plane) terminology when it comes to hitting. Yes, I used to use them occasionally in response to when others used them...but guess what? I never once used any of them in a cage or on the field somewhere, so I think it somewhat useless to try to razzle-dazzle folks with them here.

So were you referring to how far the COM moves toward the pitcher ??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks