Barrel Close to the Shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, I agree it is a Band-Aid but they certainly have been successful with it. They don't have DD do it as she's been DFP trained LOl.
RD...I know on the newer Epstein stuff he changed some things because they did find that players were not getting the extension they needed so he was teaching to get the bat in the the correct launch position etc...

When you pin the bat to the deltoid you are in a sense "hoping" that the hitter will find their lower body.

From the same JBooth post I referenced earlier ...
All I said was, "Bend your back leg, put your weight on it and then turn the magic spot toward the ball." The magic spot is the top of the back leg near the crotch. He did it on the first try.

Basically, that was JBooth's way of starting the throwing process with the "extra stretch" / "missing frames" / "the portion of the swing that Doc Yeager wants to see in every pitch a batter receives regardless of whether or not they swing".

Cut to the chase ... add the "extra stretch" to start the "throw". Avoid the bandaid and the deadening of the hands.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I said I don't want:

I Wouldn't have used Stanton as a example of 'period of time when the barrel IS following shoulder rotation'. Stanton's not the same 'barrel path' as Cabrera & McCutchen.
Stanton_rearhigh_slo.gif

To my eyes, there is a similar component in all 3. That's why I included Stanton.

I'm not advocating an Epstein drill approach for all hitters. I'm just exploring your comment regarding the barrel relationship to shoulder rotation.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
To my eyes, there is a similar component in all 3. That's why I included Stanton.

I'm not advocating an Epstein drill approach for all hitters. I'm just exploring your comment regarding the barrel relationship to shoulder rotation.

JMHO I see it differently that's all:
StantonCabrera.gif

StantonCabrera1.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
When you pin the bat to the deltoid you are in a sense "hoping" that the hitter will find their lower body.

From the same JBooth post I referenced earlier ...
All I said was, "Bend your back leg, put your weight on it and then turn the magic spot toward the ball." The magic spot is the top of the back leg near the crotch. He did it on the first try.

Basically, that was JBooth's way of starting the throwing process with the "extra stretch" / "missing frames" / "the portion of the swing that Doc Yeager wants to see in every pitch a batter receives regardless of whether or not they swing".

Cut to the chase ... add the "extra stretch" to start the "throw". Avoid the bandaid and the deadening of the hands.

The magic spot is the top of the back leg near the crotch
WellphytHipDrive.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Epstein's drill looks closer to Stanton's swing then the young lady you posted. He has the barrel by the deltoid and states that it is temporary and again, to add style etc... later. In fact, his pupil demonstrating his regular swing, has very active hands. I'm just pointing out what the video said...

Oct 10, 2011
I downloaded the one you posted in the "How to drive your Hip" from the Noontime Drill post to show DD...I love that gif.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877