Barrel Close to the Shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
JMHO I see it differently that's all:
StantonCabrera.gif

StantonCabrera1.gif

This is a good comparison to illustrate the differences. Thanks.

There's no doubt that it's largely due to GS being a very powerful young athlete, but he generates some ridiculous barrel speed. According the current Starcast stats on the MLB At Bat app, GS has 8 of the top 10 launch speeds (including the top 3) this season. It's fun to watch the ball fly off GS's bat, but I could watch Mig just take swings. Poetry.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
At launch, does anyone use the cue "keep the barrel close to the shoulder" to prevent casting? If so, does it translate into an unexpected problem? Rock the U and turn the triangle with demonstration isn't working with a couple inexperienced hitters. Thanks for any help.

Getting back to the original poster. I would prefer you have a hitter put the barrel on the shoulder:
GBrett_3000_rear.gif

But, most wont be able to 'turn the barrel' or use their hands the way Brett does.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I would use 'hands close to shoulder' or 'hit the inside seam of the ball'.

I like "hands close to the shoulder" provided you watch carefully and ensure that the "deadened hands" don't happen. Personally I like this gif. As EricF stated, it is all in how the student processes the cues. The instructor can say all the right things, but if the student doesn't follow the lesson, the teaching was not effective.

1440gv7.jpg

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I like "hands close to the shoulder" provided you watch carefully and ensure that the "deadened hands" don't happen. Personally I like this gif. As EricF stated, it is all in how the student processes the cues. The instructor can say all the right things, but if the student doesn't follow the lesson, the teaching was not effective.

1440gv7.jpg

FP26, great clip showing the change in direction between bat and body. One should see the core as the driver.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Would hope one would see how the throw of the barrel begins ... how the upper rear leg leads the throw ... the "extra stretch" and how the barrel is worked against that "extra stretch". As Doc Yeager says ... he wants to see that upper rear leg action on every pitch, regardless of whether or not a batter swings at the pitch.

rqxgme.gif

Jan 13, 2012
This is a good comparison to illustrate the differences. Thanks.

There's no doubt that it's largely due to GS being a very powerful young athlete, but he generates some ridiculous barrel speed. According the current Starcast stats on the MLB At Bat app, GS has 8 of the top 10 launch speeds (including the top 3) this season. It's fun to watch the ball fly off GS's bat, but I could watch Mig just take swings. Poetry.

Some here almost undoubtedly remember Pete Incaviglia. Stanton is the same way. Outstanding athlete, but mediocre mechanics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877