Barrel Close to the Shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2012
At launch, does anyone use the cue "keep the barrel close to the shoulder" to prevent casting? If so, does it translate into an unexpected problem? Rock the U and turn the triangle with demonstration isn't working with a couple inexperienced hitters. Thanks for any help.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
At launch, does anyone use the cue "keep the barrel close to the shoulder" to prevent casting?

I would use 'hands close to shoulder' or 'hit the inside seam of the ball'.
lexieulllaunch1_zps6c1ca5b3.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
IMO, it depends on the hitter, and how they process the cues you give them (which is why careful monitoring is always important). For a hitter who is casting/releasing the barrel too early, I could see how "keep the barrel close to the shoulder" might be more effective than "keep the hands close to the shoulder".

Oct 10, 2011
Our coach has girls use this at least temporarily with those that have a casting problem. Basically similar to Epstein...the bat stays touching the shoulder until launch. Later they can add back in their style, get some active hands etc... Sometimes it's just for a few reps in practice, sometimes much longer.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
That's why I suggested 'hands close to the shoulder' because I pictured the 'deltoid drill'/Epstein drill. Barrel close to the shoulders will have/may have the hitters barrel following the shoulder rotation around. Not what I want to see. Then you still will have to teach the hitter to properly use their hands. Again JMHO.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Our coach has girls use this at least temporarily with those that have a casting problem. Basically similar to Epstein...the bat stays touching the shoulder until launch. Later they can add back in their style, get some active hands etc... Sometimes it's just for a few reps in practice, sometimes much longer.

Jbooth once wrote ... "I also just said keep your hands at your shoulder and use your body to move the bat."

It isn't just keeping the hands in close proximity to the rear shoulder ... it's about moving the barrel and understanding "short-to" / "around".

Pinning the barrel to the shoulder is a bandaid. You won't get this action of the barrel below by pinning the barrel to the rear shoulder.

lexieulllaunch1_zps6c1ca5b3.gif

Learn "short-to". 'Short-to / 'around' is an anti-cast movement of the barrel. It is the action leading to the 'casting' of the barrel.

There is a big difference between the two hitters below in terms of barrel action during the "short-to" / "around". One is severely handicapping themselves and has 'dead hands'. That's what you do when you pin your barrel to your rear shoulder ... you deaden the hands.

fp8fvr.gif

14alnrm.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That's why I suggested 'hands close to the shoulder' because I pictured the 'deltoid drill'/Epstein drill. Barrel close to the shoulders will have/may have the hitters barrel following the shoulder rotation around. Not what I want to see. Then you still will have to teach the hitter to properly use their hands. Again JMHO.

Hmmm....I appears to me that there is a period of time when the barrel IS following shoulder rotation.
Cabrera_hands_side.gif

Stanton_rearhigh_slo.gif

McCutchen_highrear_slo.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Band-aid

Yes, I agree it is a Band-Aid but they certainly have been successful with it. They don't have DD do it as she's been DFP trained LOl.
RD...I know on the newer Epstein stuff he changed some things because they did find that players were not getting the extension they needed so he was teaching to get the bat in the the correct launch position etc...

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I appears to me that there is a period of time when the barrel IS following shoulder rotation
I said I don't want:
have the hitters barrel following the shoulder rotation around
I Wouldn't have used Stanton as a example of 'period of time when the barrel IS following shoulder rotation'. Stanton's not the same 'barrel path' as Cabrera & McCutchen.
Stanton_rearhigh_slo.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi