Ball breaks glove - Hit or error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
An error is charged to a fielder “whose failure to stop, or try to stop, an accurately thrown ball permits a runner to advance,”

No mention of reason for the failure. lights in his eyes? Bee sting at wrong moment? Weak webbing? Pants on too tight? Sorry, error.

Feb 18, 2014
There was the MLB game where the cover came off the ball and the third basemans throw didn't make it to first. It went down as a hit.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Stuff happens. No different than when a batter swings and breaks his/her bat, causing the ball to go much less farther or harder than it would've if the bat had stayed in one piece. You're not going to give the batter, or the fielder in this case, a break in the scoring because of bad luck.

Jun 8, 2016
Stuff happens. No different than when a batter swings and breaks his/her bat, causing the ball to go much less farther or harder than it would've if the bat had stayed in one piece. You're not going to give the batter, or the fielder in this case, a break in the scoring because of bad luck.
Agree for the most part but in the bat breaking case, I haven't seen too many barreled up balls break a bat ;)

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
A 1B glove breaks during a professional baseball game??? That's what one would call "rare".

Feb 3, 2011
I keep going back to that phrase, too, and that's why I think the error is unfair. None of us. No player who's ever played Major League Baseball. I'd say no human, ever, is going to hold onto the ball when it flies through the back of the webbing because of equipment failure. To me, that's evidence that normal defensive effort isn't enough to make that play.
"Unfair"? You think bats, balls, and gloves are concerned with "fair"? No. They're equipment, and sometimes, equipment fails. The failure of a glove receiving a routine throw is not ordinary, but it can happen.

This is so clearly an error that I'm looking hard for a point of debate and just not seeing it. When a routine grounder hits a rock in the infield, resulting in a ball being mishandled and dropped, it's an error. Is it "fair" that the rock interfered with the play?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414