Very specific glove advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2023
I’ve spent so many hours on the internet researching and I’m still stuck.

Sophomore Juco player here! Long story short, Old Faithful is ready to retire, and I’m ready to spend the big bucks. Considering it’s been 8 years since a new glove, I'm struggling to find out what I will like the feel of. So far I have it narrowed down to the Wilson 1787 baseball and the Pro 44 EX-10 (although now I’m seeing mentions of the Marucci Cypress?) all in 11.75”.

However, you can clearly see I’m used to something floppier than a pancake. When I'm not catching, I'm a middle infielder, mostly at second. I’m also slightly broke, but that can be ignored if the glove lasts well past my collegiate career. Will the Pro 44 be too stiff these last two years to be any good? Is the 1787 truly worth the money for MI? How noticeable is the pocket shape difference when fielding (I’m basically barehanding the ball with my Mizuno, so I rely a LOT on feel)? Will a baseball glove be okay for someone with small wrists/big palm? Is there a better glove I have no idea about? I don’t have any sports stores accessible, so trying on isn’t an option.

Softball parents, I ask for any wisdom you got!

Attachments

• IMG-0396.jpg
    IMG-0396.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG-0397.jpg
    IMG-0397.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 55
Jan 8, 2019
You’ve reached the office of @ANNASDAD and @LEsoftballdad . The doctors are not in right now, but it is expected they will be with you in the morning.

Seriously, though, they and several other members here should be able to give you some sound advice and likely a few other options if you’re open, e.g., for Rawlings gloves.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Just opened my eyes, let me get to work and I’ll give a proper reply. @Lemond is right, normally I’d recommend a Rawlings, and in your situation….a Pro1000!

But, it seems that that Mizuno has served you very well, why not a better Mizuno to get you to the finish line?

Do yourself a favor, scrap the Pro 44 idea!

Jun 8, 2016
If you want to stick with Mizuno:

I have a 11.5” model and I think the 11.75” would be fine for 12” ball at 2b. Only issue is it does take a bit of time to break in. You might also be able to find a good deal on a 12” model as well.

Jan 28, 2017
DD is a Marucci fan and we are on the third one. Cypress, Founders, and Cypress and all are great gloves. One cypress took forever to break in and the other not long. The Founders was ready to play almost. One note, I would go with a 12 inch Cypress they seem to run a little smaller than the Founder and other 12 inch gloves.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

Pattar is on to something, I'm liking both of these!
Both are on sale, both will make an excellent 2B glove, and both are worlds better gloves than what you're used to! Pick a color!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
If you want to stick with Mizuno:

I have a 11.5” model and I think the 11.75” would be fine for 12” ball at 2b. Only issue is it does take a bit of time to break in. You might also be able to find a good deal on a 12” model as well.
You beat me to it!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Here's a 12" Pro-Select H-web at normal price.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
These Pro-Selects will be stiff (as they should be) and they'll take some work, but with two more years of practices and games, these seem like the best gloves to get you through!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101