back leg, front leg and hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The barrel is seen to accelerate during what some refer to as the front-side push back.

Some simply view it as a leverage for working the hands.

Generally something that is just taken for granted by those swinging with two legs. Then again ... there are those that attempt to exploit the action beyond what they likely should .... and then there are those that avoid the shift and simply spin.

2cna3oy.gif

33wxv74.gif

Still believe the focus should be on the sequence and points of emphasis.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ground reaction forces are extracted relative to the front leg. This happens whether or not you use a sequence of “Shift AND Swing” or “Shift THEN Swing”.

From my way of thinking the discussion shouldn’t be so much on the existence of front-side ground reaction forces, so much as it should be over whether one should attempt to exploit, or over emphasize, front-side related ground reaction forces.

One could argue that hitters that “Shift THEN Swing” are using an approach that attempts to maximize front-side ground reaction forces. To me the argument shouldn’t be about the existence of front-side ground reaction forces, but over why it is an error to use a “Shift THEN Swing” mechanic.

May 16, 2010
Agreed in the context of the following: A pole vault pole (moving) and the pole vault box in which the pole is planted (stationary) both contribute force to bend the pole properly. In hitting, the rear leg/hip is the "pole" and actively supplies forward momentum and rotation, the front leg/hip is the pole vault box and when fixed in place (after heel plant), reacts to redirect and transfer the forward momentum and rotation initiated by the rear leg/hip.

That's pretty accurate, except that the pole vault box, doesn't have the ability to add force, as the front leg does. The front leg lands bent and then straightens. That applies a force. Unlike the box that is stationary. To add it to your analogy, it would be like the vault box having a device in it that pushed it toward the vaulter, the instant that the pole contacted it. Now, you would have additional force at the bottom of the pole, which would cause it to bend more and give more spring to launch the vaulter.

May 16, 2010
Obsolutely GM. It creates a strong force. It would be an ideal force imo, IF it wasn't a moving target trying to be hit.

Shift then swing is great for hitting slowpitch softballs for homeruns.

PBP is not, shift then swing. I don't know why you think that.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Do you believe that the weight shifts on the front leg before you swing? Trying to understand where you are coming from.

Well Hyp...I am sure he believes that weight shifts before you swing, you know "Babe hits more home runs then Ichiro, because he pushes back harder." Well wait a minute...he says it is NOT shift then swing...so the weight has not shifted to the front leg...so you push back on a front leg before any weight is shifted to it? WAIT how is that done? Push with an unweighted leg?

Old_14046c_296700.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
wait wait Hyp...I've figured it out....you shift AND swing hitting the ball, and create power pushing back aft.....uh no no that doesn't work.

GEEZ Hyp, you just don't understand the kinetic chain, and I'm done explaining it to you.:p

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01