Back elbow and hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
Clip one, comments?

clip0456.gif

You see this VERY rarely in MLB (Jose Reyes) but somewhat more often in FP. Alisa Goler of GA and Kelsey Bruder of FL are two that I know who do this.

This is a version of bat drag, but doesn't have as many of the negative consequences because there isn't as much slack in the swing.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Not to this degree.

Chris

Do you have RVP?

When I get to connection I can back it up about 4 clicks and advance it 4 clicks forward of connection....what do you see as to from the side view.

This is just prior to the bat turning the corner as we go to connection.

Are the hands slightly ahead in this situation? Even? Or is the elbow ahead?

I looked at AP, AR, Manny, Shefield and Edmonds and they looked even.

Then Ichiro, Guerroand and Utley and they looked different as it looked like their hands were ahead a little.

Could that be dependent on pitch location and adjusting to the pitch?

I see her hands slightly ahead of her elbow or possibly pushing the bat.

Thanks Howard

Last edited:
R

RayR

It is about location - why do people think one swing fits all?

It is about hitting a ball, not swinging a bat - 2 entirely different things. Not much different from a golfer who can draw and fade shots or keep them low under the wind.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
If you have her in RVP, you will see the same thing.

What you will not see in most HS hitters, is the hitter setting the axes and swinging, they would either really create bat drag or slide the hands forward and swing out front.

There is nothing in this swing that can support any bat drag. The elbow slightly ahead in this swing doesn't create bat drag.

With most hitters, the back arm from the shoulder to elbow, do not move separate from the body (and really the entire back arm). Since she is not wrapping the bat (taking the elbow toward the dugout to far from it's low position) like many college fastpitch hitters and she has narrow shoulders which makes the arms seem long and skinney. When she creates lead arm connection, it happens at foot or at the start of the swing.

The hands move slighty back to achieve the connection through the lead arm, in which the back hands moves a little past the back elbow. She would also be hitter who achieves what some might can lead arm extension at foot plant or the start of the swing and not before, I don't believe anyone really achieves lead connection until foot plant.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I see her hands slightly ahead of her elbow or possibly pushing the bat.

Thanks Howard

Seriously, That is far from pushing the bat. Smooth, quick, yes. Working with to many young hitters can get confusing, because we seldom see/work with someone of this caliber on a daily basis (or even for one day).

Oct 12, 2009
I looked at AP, AR, Manny, Shefield and Edmonds and they looked even.

Then Ichiro, Guerroand and Utley and they looked different as it looked like their hands were ahead a little.

I generally see even to just a bit ahead.

I don't think it's pitch dependent. That adjustment comes later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez