Educated hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Anyone else wanna chime in? There’s an obvious outta plane theme so the last piece is as elastic as possible? As well as a big core contraction or a solid second foundation for rotation. Just thinking out loud here..
Anyone else wanna chime in? There’s an obvious outta plane theme so the last piece is as elastic as possible? As well as a big core contraction or a solid second foundation for rotation. Just thinking out loud here..
Early connection is a flatter swing. The metric is over rated and and should be taught as a feel. The feeling of your bat being at 90 degrees to your torso AT contact and even before contact is a good feeling. The idea that the sooner you get connected the better the swing is probably not a good idea. It will cause a early dropping of hands (loss of power/leverage) and a flat swing. I don't use blast.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
WIW, I don't have any idea of what the link means by "Early Connection." Even in that diagram, you see the shoulders begin to turn and the hands in a relationship with those shoulders. At least that is what I see. Also, when the hands are, "seeking" the ball and pelvic tilt is turning into lateral tilt, I believe that those hands are in connection. As I have stated many times, that amount of time is very brief but I believe that it is there. In looking at these stills, in frame 3, the hands are beginning to come into connection. For frames 4 and 5 they are there and then, they come off the merry-go-round. (Term I use that I know most of you don't like.) That is what I see and what I teach. Remember, I am an "ex-expert." When I swing a bat, that is what I feel. When I coach it, players seem to get it.

CE0_ufJXIAECXgP.png

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
WIW, I don't have any idea of what the link means by "Early Connection." Even in that diagram, you see the shoulders begin to turn and the hands in a relationship with those shoulders. At least that is what I see. Also, when the hands are, "seeking" the ball and pelvic tilt is turning into lateral tilt, I believe that those hands are in connection. As I have stated many times, that amount of time is very brief but I believe that it is there. In looking at these stills, in frame 3, the hands are beginning to come into connection. For frames 4 and 5 they are there and then, they come off the merry-go-round. (Term I use that I know most of you don't like.) That is what I see and what I teach. Remember, I am an "ex-expert." When I swing a bat, that is what I feel. When I coach it, players seem to get it.

CE0_ufJXIAECXgP.png

Is this really connection? The hands are clearly pushing the shoulders outta the way. If anything the upper body is along for the ride. Unless you believe in dragging the bat. Even if you believe in the merry go round the force applied isn’t from the inside it’s from the outside. It won’t move correctly wo the outside force. The hands make the body move. Not the other way around. It’s drag and spin otherwise.
You said the hands ‘come into connection’.. that says they’re active right? is that really the right description of what is happening? Or is it just that leverage is created w the bat? Why does tip n rip help? See what I mean? Rotation was way overdone w descriptions back in the day. It’s more of a reaction to the path right?

1693308506772.gif

I see ‘connection’ as top wrist extension or leverage of the front hand. That moment when you can transition the bat to whip it. Most folks says that flattening. But really that’s transition of the bat seeking its most direct path via the hands w a cue of knob to or hands to the path.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think we all agree that the hand path changes more than anything. That’s why they’re educated hands. Knowing how to create the shortest or longest path to hit the ball. You really can’t do that Any other way imo. Posture as many have said is set at set up or load and doesn’t change until front foot down , if needed right? That’s too late to set the path right? So it’s gotta be in transition? That’s what transition is right? In any other sports endeavor I think it is as well. Anyways..

1693311894832.gif

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
WIW, I guess we see the swing differently and that is okay. I think that you give the hands abilities that they don't have. The hands, imo, can't make the shoulders get out of the way. They also, can't be "educated." They have to respond to what the body does. IOWs, the hands can't move themselves through space. Perhaps the way I see the swing is outdated. Perhaps, I just don't understand the science. However, I see the MLB swing and see what I believe constitutes a good swing and teach that. Ex-Experts have to Ex-Expert. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06