Educated hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here’s an old golf coach who believes the hands and arms are the system. It doesn’t all apply but the concept is the same as what most HOF hitters say they do.

Pretty long. Most of the concepts are early in the presentation. Good stuff though especially if you’re learning golf.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Early connection is a flatter swing. The metric is over rated and and should be taught as a feel. The feeling of your bat being at 90 degrees to your torso AT contact and even before contact is a good feeling. The idea that the sooner you get connected the better the swing is probably not a good idea. It will cause a early dropping of hands (loss of power/leverage) and a flat swing. I don't use blast.
So if this is true.. we DO or DON’T want the hands along for the ride? Make it make sense please.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I mean why train w a heavy bat or long/short bat ? Surely the body is strong enough to move the bat? Why did Ted say you need a firm grip and strong wrists and forearms? Bc that’s what is moving the bat? Makes sense to me.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Yea, I am not arguing against some top hand extension.

xoXdWDe.gif

wgzJTzv.png
Do you think Albert's top hand grip is loose or tight in this photo? I think relatively loose and the barrel is going to whip around his hands as a pivot point and the shorter or less the hands move the shorter and quicker the swing will be.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think we all agree that the hand path changes more than anything. That’s why they’re educated hands. Knowing how to create the shortest or longest path to hit the ball. You really can’t do that Any other way imo. Posture as many have said is set at set up or load and doesn’t change until front foot down , if needed right? That’s too late to set the path right? So it’s gotta be in transition? That’s what transition is right? In any other sports endeavor I think it is as well. Anyways..

View attachment 28661
Look at his posture and spine angle in each swing. High pitch, he is more upright. Low pitch, more spine angle /hip flexion. He has an educated torso.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Do you think Albert's top hand grip is loose or tight in this photo? I think relatively loose and the barrel is going to whip around his hands as a pivot point and the shorter or less the hands move the shorter and quicker the swing will be.

Yes, I would say loose in prep to whip the barrel.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
If I haven't muddied the water enough, I ask my hitters to do check swings as a part of our hitting. I want them to notice things like where their hands are. What is the position of their hips. Did they point the knob and how hard was it to do a "hard check" and control that barrel?

Posada check swing.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06