Asa rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
We were told last year by the state ASA director that if you entered a qualifier, you were no longer able to move down in age level, even if you were playing up. That was in regards to a player that wanted to pick-up with a team for Nationals in her age group. She was playing up with our team so was red lined on our team. We did not qualify for Nationals.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
FPMark that is what they are telling us. Doen't matter if you win a berth, turn it back in ( which is what I think this coach is thinking) you are still locked into 18U. Now the big question is what will the ASA do with the team, since they are playing in 16U ASA events. What was told to us is a one year suspension for players and coaches in all ASA events. Why would anyone take this risk of being caught.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Here is the ASA Code which is very vague.

It states that playing at a higher level MAY affect the teams classification. Teams are never discouraged from playing at a higher level.

It should also be noted that winning a tournament which offers a berth does not mean the team must accept that berth.

Getting or not getting a berth has nothing to do with it, the only issue is whether you enter a tournament that gives out, or leads to a tournament that gives out a berth. Once you enter what is called "championship" play you are redlined to that team. Your ONLY option is to play for another team in the same or a higher classification as a pick-up player. Pick up players are carefully defined and can only be added for Nationals.

There is no such things as "releasing" a player or "disbanding" a team in ASA.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Getting or not getting a berth has nothing to do with it, the only issue is whether you enter a tournament that gives out, or leads to a tournament that gives out a berth. Once you enter what is called "championship" play you are redlined to that team. Your ONLY option is to play for another team in the same or a higher classification as a pick-up player. Pick up players are carefully defined and can only be added for Nationals.

There is no such things as "releasing" a player or "disbanding" a team in ASA.

I hate to disagree with you, but I cannot find anything in the code which states that. If I missed it, I would appreciate you pointing it out to me because I know as a fact that some metro/state associations offer teams a discount for playing in more than one state tournament by playing up, FP, SP & MP. And every instance referring to playing at a higher level notes that is may affect future classification, not that it will.

BTW, there is a specific paragraph that instructs a team how to change their roster and re-enter championship play after obtaining a berth which includes forfeiting the berth and submitting a new roster and re-entering championship play.

Nov 1, 2009
If they played in a qualifying tournament then they would be held to the age restrictions. The roster is verified at the qualifying tournaments and that is where you would be challenged. The thing is you do have to be challenged and most teams aren't really paying that much attention to what you are doing so it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

This rule not only qualifies for teams but individuals as well so always check with your ASA team before allowing your daughter to do something that may impact her ability to play. Even if she is a pick up player with another team and that team is an A team in a qualifying event your daughter could be inelgible to play with her regular B team later in the season. This is issue in ASA, many of the other sanctions are different.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If they played in a qualifying tournament then they would be held to the age restrictions. The roster is verified at the qualifying tournaments and that is where you would be challenged. The thing is you do have to be challenged and most teams aren't really paying that much attention to what you are doing so it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

This rule not only qualifies for teams but individuals as well so always check with your ASA team before allowing your daughter to do something that may impact her ability to play. Even if she is a pick up player with another team and that team is an A team in a qualifying event your daughter could be inelgible to play with her regular B team later in the season. This is issue in ASA, many of the other sanctions are different.

You are referring to red-lining a roster for championship play. It isn't the same as a team playing up for a tournament.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1