Asa rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
You might want to check with your ASA reps. It is my understanding that once a player plays in an older age bracket at a national qualifier, they are locked into the older age group through nationals. Daughters team tried to pick up a player a few years back and turned out she had played in an 18U qualifier and could not play 16U even though she was still young enough.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If a team plays up and wins a Eastern National Berth at 18U, can they now play at 16U and try to win a National berth at 16U?

As noted, I would check first. I believe that this would only be permitted if the team formally forfeits the previously awarded berth.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Forfeiting the berth is irrelevant. Once you play in an 18U qualifier you can not play in a lower age group through Nationals. I believe this is in the ASA Code

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
That is what an e mail from ASA National came back with. I know a team that won a berth at 18U Eastern Nationals and are now trying to win a berth at 16U and didn't think you could do that. Thanks for the responses.

Feb 3, 2011
I got the same information just now, too. I stand corrected. Now my question is, can the team disband after the 18u qualifier and then re-form and then go compete in 16u?

Jun 22, 2008
The players are locked to the 18 level through the completion of nationals. Even if they team disbanded and all the players went to other organizations, they still cannot play 16's after having competed at an 18 qualifier.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Forfeiting the berth is irrelevant. Once you play in an 18U qualifier you can not play in a lower age group through Nationals. I believe this is in the ASA Code

Here is the ASA Code which is very vague.

It states that playing at a higher level MAY affect the teams classification. Teams are never discouraged from playing at a higher level.

It should also be noted that winning a tournament which offers a berth does not mean the team must accept that berth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi