ASA Rule 3-1D

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Where did I say you were not allowed an opinion? I'm not a fan of anything "synthetic" tool used as a shortcut to learning the correct method from scratch, but as previously noted, that is my opinion, just as it is that the double base is ludicrous and the result of stupid coaching or lack of any coaching at all.

I developed The Bat Jack when a pretty good professional hitter was having issues with his grip and the slot position of his back elbow. He had numerous coaches try to explain and demonstrate what they were trying to get him to do but he could not feel it. When I made this for him and put it on his bat, the light bulb went off and he felt what everyone was trying to get him to feel.

I went forward with developing The Bat Jack because it helps hitters. And yes it is something that you are supposed to swing and hit with.

You claim that this is some kind of a "shortcut" to learning the correct methods from scratch. Well IMO, as a coach, wouldn't you want your players to improve sooner than later? Is The Bat Jack a "shortcut" NO, there are no shortcuts. It just gives your players a better way to feel and understand what you were trying to teach from "scratch" :)

Jun 21, 2010
You claim that this is some kind of a "shortcut" to learning the correct methods from scratch. Well IMO, as a coach, wouldn't you want your players to improve sooner than later? Is The Bat Jack a "shortcut" NO, there are no shortcuts. It just gives your players a better way to feel and understand what you were trying to teach from "scratch" :)

I don't care what you say. Nothing could ever replace my abacus, typewriter or rotary phone. :D

Mar 15, 2011
I don't care what you say. Nothing could ever replace my abacus, typewriter or rotary phone. :D

When baseball started, nobody had gloves, and when gloves were invented they didn't have the deep pockets as they were simply protection for the hand. Those damn lazy ball players and their gadgets, gimmicks and shortcuts.

The Baseball Glove Comes to Baseball, 1875

While the Bat Jack will lilkely never be commonplace for hitters, any insinuation that it is some kind of shortcut and those who use it lazy is absurd. I guess it's probably lazy to get professional coaching since when the game was invented they didn't exist. Every player should figure out hitting and fielding on thier own. Using techniques developed by others is lazy.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I am the world's foremost expert on mine. But calling out someone as lazy without the slightest whiff of insight into who you are claiming is lazy is uncalled for. IMO of course. :)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

And when it is removed and not used? Glad it works for you. I prefer the old fashion way .

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
When baseball started, nobody had gloves, and when gloves were invented they didn't have the deep pockets as they were simply protection for the hand. Those damn lazy ball players and their gadgets, gimmicks and shortcuts.

The Baseball Glove Comes to Baseball, 1875

While the Bat Jack will lilkely never be commonplace for hitters, any insinuation that it is some kind of shortcut and those who use it lazy is absurd. I guess it's probably lazy to get professional coaching since when the game was invented they didn't exist. Every player should figure out hitting and fielding on thier own. Using techniques developed by others is lazy.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I am the world's foremost expert on mine. But calling out someone as lazy without the slightest whiff of insight into who you are claiming is lazy is uncalled for. IMO of course. :)

Mr. Lazy, or is it Strawman?

To start, when baseball started, it wasn't baseball, they were not using rock-hard spheres and hi-tech produced bats. Gloves, masks, chest protectors and shin guards are tools of necessity. Obviously, the Bat Jack isn't as many, many a player seems to do unbelieveably well without it.

And you want to compare mechanics with a gadget? Yeah, you're winning me over. Then again, you probably believe a first baseman should plant their foot on 1B before receiving a throw.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio

To start, when baseball started, it wasn't baseball, they were not using rock-hard spheres and hi-tech produced bats. Gloves, masks, chest protectors and shin guards are tools of necessity. Obviously, the Bat Jack isn't as many, many a player seems to do unbelieveably well without it.

And you want to compare mechanics with a gadget? Yeah, you're winning me over. Then again, you probably believe a first baseman should plant their foot on 1B before receiving a throw.

Have you ever had a hitter hit off the tee? Of course you have... But wait, they don't use a tee in games do they? Those tees are some silly gadgets.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio

Obviously, the Bat Jack isn't as many, many a player seems to do unbelieveably well without it.

You would have done better yourself if you had used it when you played. :)

When a player of yours needs to develop a better grip, do it the old fashioned way and tell him/her to line up those door knocking knuckles! That aughta work! :)

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
And from a teaching prospective. How many of those students have some type of a learning disability? As a coach do you know who those players are? How do you communicate to them? I can tell you that you cannot just tell them how? Even Bustos was LD, they must see it, feel it to learn.

Mar 15, 2011

Well, using your examples, many people do well without shin guards, so people who do must be too lazy to learn how to not foul the ball into thier shin.

Anyway, my whole point is calling people "lazy" when you obviously have no insight whatsoever to thier work ethic. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you read the link I posted, take a look at the part where the first player using a glove talks about how he was embarrassed to use it since it wasn't common and no one else had them. It was a new "gadget" that made catching the ball easier. I would assume that it took some time before the majority of players began to use one and then somewhere along the line they added the webbing. I don't know if that happened all at once or over time, but having a glove with a pocket must have seemed to be a shortcut to the people who hadn't yet gotten on board. In the game today, using your flawed logic, rosin and pine tar must be for people who are too lazy to develop a better grip. Slow-motion video must be for lazy people too.

There are basically two arguments you are making. The Bat Jack is a gadget (it is, as are some of the other items I mentioned) and that using them means you are lazy (you have no proof of that whatsoever). I'm not arguing for or against the Bat Jack. I've never seen one in person and have no idea if they work. That said, without knowing the individual contemplating trying one out it would be extremely presumptious of me to assume they are lazy, much less calling them out as lazy on a public forum.

If the Bat Jack can turn on a lgiht in the hitters mind as to how the proper grip should feel it is worth it's weight in gold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah