Are we on the right track?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
I just took some swings in the garage off of the tee. I am trying to get my thoughts together for correcting the swing path issues. I did notice a difference in trajectory when thinking about the bat head below the hands and elbow and then releasing to the ball, the ball seemed to come off the bat hotter and hit the door higher, I have it marked. The thought I will place in her head is to visualize a ball over the P and SS head, I have always told her to visualize line drives, but she hits ground balls, I will have her aim higher. I will take more video and post after some changes and some tee work.

Thanks to all.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I just took some swings in the garage off of the tee. I am trying to get my thoughts together for correcting the swing path issues. I did notice a difference in trajectory when thinking about the bat head below the hands and elbow and then releasing to the ball, the ball seemed to come off the bat hotter and hit the door higher, I have it marked. The thought I will place in her head is to visualize a ball over the P and SS head, I have always told her to visualize line drives, but she hits ground balls, I will have her aim higher. I will take more video and post after some changes and some tee work.

Thanks to all.

Good for you NewSBdad. Love hearing that you are taking hacks in the garage and experimenting before working with your daughter & others. Very nice!

Where are you making 'contact'? Is the tee placed near your front foot ... or is it ahead of your front foot closer to the pitcher? For now, consider having the tee placed even with the front foot ... as you see Pujols doing here.

wjzaxu.jpg

In a few years you may begin to work on her "Attacking Opposite-Field", in which case you will reposition yourself so that the tee is back towards your belly button (and further out) as Pujols is doing here.

213ouv7.jpg

For now, stick with the tee positioned about even with the front foot. Have a "barrel to the ball" mentality versus a "hands to the ball" mentality. Don't go out and get the ball, let it come to you and hit behind the ball. See Tewks' "barrel to the ball" video if you haven't seen it already.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
newsoftballdad

PM me and we will talk more on hitting to the opposite field....it will not take years.

Thanks Howard

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sorry Hitter, I didn't mean to imply that it would take years to learn how to hit opposite field. I was thinking more along the line of SBF's earlier point of keeping it simple and first working on a swing down the middle of the plate. I know that hitting opp-fld is something you've stressed and I certainly respect that.

I come across kids that demonstrate anchoring their rear lower leg much like the rear leg action we see in this clip.

2praddu.jpg

Could you follow-up on how you address this? I'm assuming you check for 'balance' via what you have described as sequential core loading. In your opinion would that correct the majority of situations like this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12