Any info on NCAA dead period extension

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Here is an article on the relaxation of some of the rules during this Dead Period:

Cleveland.com

There are four distinct windows in the calendar: Quiet Period, Dead Period, Evaluation Period, and Contact Period.

Recruiting rules, especially in softball changed to a date based contact time for D1 and D2 to be able to discuss recruiting with an athlete, athlete's parent, or coach. This was done in an effort to stop a lot of the "early" recruiting. If the athlete is within the allowable dates, the coach can have recruiting conversations with that player at any point that contact is allowed provided it is after that allowable contact time.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If the link Triple Play posted is accurate.
It shows 'Contact Period' open from
June 4th thru July 31st.
* not being argumentative,
* trying to get clear understanding.
If these dates have changed it would also mean the discussion platform has changed.

Screenshot_2020-05-14-07-19-57-1.pngScreenshot_2020-05-14-07-20-17-1.png

Last edited:
That was posted to give you a quick snap shot of the periods on the calendar. Of course the Contact Period is not open June 4 if the NCAA extended the Dead Period for all sports through June 30. However, you do not seem to understand the difference between a "Contact Period" and a "Dead Period". The "Dead Period" means they can call, email, text, and do anything but face to face contact, in person on or off campus.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Here is an article on the relaxation of some of the rules during this Dead Period:

Cleveland.com

There are four distinct windows in the calendar: Quiet Period, Dead Period, Evaluation Period, and Contact Period.

Recruiting rules, especially in softball changed to a date based contact time for D1 and D2 to be able to discuss recruiting with an athlete, athlete's parent, or coach. This was done in an effort to stop a lot of the "early" recruiting. If the athlete is within the allowable dates, the coach can have recruiting conversations with that player at any point that contact is allowed provided it is after that allowable contact time.

Excellent Link to AMMENDED info!!
Thanku !!!!

Yes i am familiar with the different time frames and guidelines within.
This is why was seeking clarification. Appears the change's/modifications made keep opportunity to connect open.

My refference to early recruitment was only sharing knowing coaches did and do adjust their conversations to apply guidelines.
They dont have recruitment conversations all year.

Thanks for the link!
Screenshot_2020-05-14-08-19-39-1.png
Screenshot_2020-05-14-07-49-48-1.pngScreenshot_2020-05-14-07-50-26-1.png

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Nope according to this from OnDeck Softball. Can someone please explain to me the logic here? My DD is a 2022, which is bad enough, but the 2021s are getting ROYALLY screwed on many fronts.

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 5.01.00 PM.png

Nope according to this from OnDeck Softball. Can someone please explain to me the logic here? My DD is a 2022, which is bad enough, but the 2021s are getting ROYALLY screwed on many fronts.

PGF, TCS, Connect Sports and others have been livestreaming games for awhile and college coaches have been watching them, so the mechanism is there for college coaches to do so while remaining in compliance with the NCAA. The questions becomes the value of the livestreaming as a recruiting tool for the college coaches. Most are not great quality and I would actually welcome ESPN3 getting into the game and streaming to add quality to it -but then you get into commercials and sponsors, etc, lol.

As a parent, I would not expect my kid to get exposure through a livestreaming event unless she was very high on a coach's radar at that point. There are simply things that cannot be evaluated or even noticed on a livestream. Really you are better off putting together a high quality highlight reel of live game performance and having a high quality skills video you can send to coaches right now.

Uncommitted 2021s will still be able to get to events and get in front of D3, NAIA, and JUCO coaches some this summer. Unfortunately, 2022s are the ones that are going to get the biggest pinch out of this year and the extra years of eligibility.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO GET MORE/ALL SOFTBALL TELEVISED !!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13