Any info on NCAA dead period extension

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Unless they changed the verbage during non recruitment dead period.

Coaches will NOT be allowed to have RECRUITMENT DISCUSSIONS with potential players.

Players can always call coaches.
Coaches cannot always call players.
*coaches are NOT supposed to have any discussions in regards to a players call and recruitment!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My understanding, based on conversations with a couple of D1 / D2 coaches, they can watch livestream games, review video, call, text, email, zoom, etc. The only thing the dead period does is cut out in person evaluation of recruits, whether on or off campus.

By the way, none of the coaches that I talked to are very fond of the livestream games.
Cannot talk about recruitment.
Dark period specifically restricts coaches from contacting potential players.

They can always review things.
But cannot always contact potential players.

Otherwise recruitment would never shut down.
There would be no recruitment windows at all if they didnt
regulate restriction dates.

Cannot talk about recruitment.
Dark period specifically restricts coaches from contacting potential players.

They can always review things.
But cannot always contact potential players.

Otherwise recruitment would never shut down.
There would be no recruitment windows at all if they didnt
regulate restriction dates.

During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.

They have also relaxed some of the rules during this time to allow coaches to Zoom, Facetime, etc.

Also, they can have a recruiting discussion if they choose to during this time.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.

They have also relaxed some of the rules during this time to allow coaches to Zoom, Facetime, etc.

Also, they can have a recruiting discussion if they choose to during this time.
So they changed the verbage and it is NOT (so to speak)
Completely dark?
Just to be clear as i havent read any updated info yet....
*Can you post a link to the new updated info? !

Contact period and evaluation period have seperate discussion guidelines.

If you can post the ammended dark period information speaking towards coaches being allowed to discuss recruitment.
Would be great. Quick google not finding update.

There is not a "dark period". There are only four periods on the calendar: Quite Period, Dead Period, Evaluation Period, and Contact Period.

I think you are confusing the "Dead Period" and the "Quite Period".

radness

Dec 13, 2019
There is not a "dark period". There are only four periods on the calendar: Quite Period, Dead Period, Evaluation Period, and Contact Period.

I think you are confusing the "Dead Period" and the "Quite Period".
Ok wrong word perhaps. Not dark, but dead.
Speaking towards a window of time coaches cannot have recruitment conversations. Thats all.

Going back to early recruitment times....
I know coaches used to talk about players openly discuss info pertaining to recruiting.
That changed. Deffinetly D1 coaches got more restrictive in conversations regarding age.
But additionally would NOT have those same open discussions regarding players recruitment during certain dates.

There is a difference between evaluation camps and recruitment conversations.
D1 coaches have become strategic in their verbage to be careful to this.

Mar 20, 2017
Madison, WI
Not sure it is appropriate for this thread and I'm sure the answer depends on class, but what can/should players be doing during the extended dead period to not lose all recruiting momentum? Is it worth the anxiety and health risk to attend live-streamed tournaments that coaches may (or may not) be viewing remotely? If I'm a coach, the last thing I want to see is another Tweet showing a player shagging balls or hitting off a tee. Sorry to vent, but this is such a difficult time to understand what to do next!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi