Dead Period Extended until 5/31/21 but....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Hmmm?
Not to be snarky....
But do the mid-majors need to get out to recruit?
There are MANY athletes who have been reaching out.
Floods of live game streaming.
Excetra.
Plus their extended eligibility.

not so sure about it

Coaches have been saying they want to see some players play in-person. They have the video but for some, it’s not enough. This is more in regards to our position players vs pitchers. Plus, you just get a bigger picture of the player when you watch them in person. Can’t see how they act in the dugout or on the bench with video.

Nov 5, 2014
Plus their extended eligibility.

This needs to be highlighted, starred, and repeated. I think the impacts of this on recruiting are being underestimated. Did everyone notice the size of rosters last week when games got underway. Missouri had 31!! on the roster but I saw many teams with 25+.

What we are seeing and hearing from multiple mid major coaches is they are done with the 2022 class. They will stand pat with the recruits they committed in the fall/early winter and fill in any gaps with players staying for the extra year, transfers, and 2023 kids. These coaches went in to watch archives of our live streams to scout the 2023's and prepare their lists for who they want to watch and evaluate this summer when in person recruiting resumes.

Unfortunately there are a lot of really good 2022's who are going to get passed over. I feel terrible for these kids. This doesn't mean there are not places for these kids to play but it may not be where they expected and they need to start widening their search net

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Coaches have been saying they want to see some players play in-person. They have the video but for some, it’s not enough. This is more in regards to our position players vs pitchers. Plus, you just get a bigger picture of the player when you watch them in person. Can’t see how they act in the dugout or on the bench with video.
While this also happening...
Just guessing....
If recruitment in person being pushed back...and then again posibly...
There maybe a point where they are forced to make a decision without in person view?
Or wait too long and players already made a choice.

Players have made commitments without on campus or in person.

Just sayin' it could happen 💁

Wonder how many colleges simple havent AND wont be doing any recruitment.?!

May 6, 2015
Important also to realize this extension of dead period is not only softball. cannot base this decision on WCWS or CWS, or any specific event or sport. they need to end this ASAP. I have a 2022 DD another sport, and current year, supposedly her big year for recruiting, has been a dissappointment to say the least. might try to get DD to float the idea on social media for a class action suit among 2022 student athletes. as stated above, a lot of schools are simply going to not look anymore at 2022 athletes.

Apr 28, 2014
I guess it's a balance of risk versus reward. Spoke to a buddy yesterday, his DD is a player on a D3 team. 5 kids just left the team due to stress. Coach is pounding them about living in a bubble, and no one wants to bring the virus to the team and force a shut down. I imagine colleges at the D1 level don't want to risk any exposure that can hurt their season or playoff chances.
One thing is for sure, kids are still getting recruited. Twitter is loaded with girls posts who committed after 9/1. This whole process has truly confirmed that who you play for is very very important. You used to hear "if you're good enough schools will find you" that myth has been proven wrong. Who you play for is important as travel coaches with ties to schools can get it done even during these times. I know of a D1 pitcher on the hunt for a team. She is good enough to pitch at the D1 level, all of the tools etc. Her team is not well known in the travel circuits and it's hurting her. Really a shame.

May 27, 2013
Players have made commitments without on campus or in person.

Yep, we’ve had that happen with a 2022 this year, as well. Another one is close to accepting a D1 offer. Three schools very interested, two waiting to see who decides to stay on another season, and want to see player in-person. I think those two schools are making a big mistake if that’s their plan.

May 27, 2013
Not to go Ferris Bueller on you, but...heard from my brother whose son is a Freshman on an ivy baseball team. They knew an answer was coming today. And they were just told. Done.

Nope, I totally believe you. Just didn’t know if it was in print anywhere that I could forward to the other coaches on our team. Thanks. That truly does suck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00