Dead Period Extended until 5/31/21 but....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
There are legally binding contracts involved 🤷‍♂️ I am not saying they couldn't have played, I am just saying that the argument that they are sitting on these huge pots of money, use it, isn't really applicable.

Yes, this. I’m sure the parents of the non-athletes at those schools who pay full tuition would also be insanely furious if athletes came back from games and spread Covid. We’re talking about institutions where academics are the primary focus and there are no athletic scholarships or merit money. Those parents are paying a huge amount of money and if the kids can’t be in classes on campus, that’s a huge problem. I’m also just speculating here. I know, it sounds silly, but I can see this being part of the issue. Just to caveat this - I do NOT agree with it if this is the case.

Believe me, I find it ridiculous as well since we’ve seen that sports can be done safely at all different levels. I only “liked“ those posts because people gave me the links to the info that I requested, not because sports were canceled. I‘m afraid the more this keeps happening, the easier it will become to continue doing into the future.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I think coaching and recruitment goes beyond the white lines ... there have stories myths of kids getting. or losing potential roster spots based on what a coach observed in the dugout , after the game win or lose, plus if your daughter is an outfielder I have yet to see a decent video from a backstop that captures outfield play. what I don't understand is why it only affects division 1. why is it allowed with d2,d3, and juco they all have a world series lol... it is difficult situation for all and as parent we always taught our kids hard work pays off.. tuff to help with that now... but I do agree kids who are not fortunate to secure a spot go to a school where they feel is good fit academically and walk on which will also force those with rosterspots to work harder as well...

the mid majors also use the clinics and camps to see potential athletes on a smaller scale and then circle them afterwards to follow during travel ball or school ball season . plus they help budget for travel and assistant coaches stipends.. now no camps again d1 only .. explain that ..

just wish everyone to stay the course and be healthy
I agree with you. Just going by what some college coaches have told me as I assist with recruiting.

Apr 28, 2014
Yes, this. I’m sure the parents of the non-athletes at those schools who pay full tuition would also be insanely furious if athletes came back from games and spread Covid. We’re talking about institutions where academics are the primary focus and there are no athletic scholarships or merit money. Those parents are paying a huge amount of money and if the kids can’t be in classes on campus, that’s a huge problem. I’m also just speculating here. I know, it sounds silly, but I can see this being part of the issue. Just to caveat this - I do NOT agree with it if this is the case.

Believe me, I find it ridiculous as well since we’ve seen that sports can be done safely at all different levels. I only “liked“ those posts because people gave me the links to the info that I requested, not because sports were canceled. I‘m afraid the more this keeps happening, the easier it will become to continue doing into the future.

I understand your points I also think about the parents who pay (many full tuition) and want to see their kids play. The NARPs on campus still go to student government clubs, Areospace club, yearbook club, finance club, glee club and many others. These are not required for graduation but just about everyone of them is back in session as of today. I looked into it at Penn. These clubs often meet with people from other universities yet the university is not shutting down these activities. Major reason is that these activates don't cost the university any money.
It's easy to say "We can't have sports". Not easy to work to create a safe process to allow competition and those in charge aren't willing to work hard to make it happen. They have zero incentive to do so. If you're an IVY league athlete you have no leverage. What are you gonna do? Transfer to the Patriot league? They have these kids over a barrel and are destroying the little time they have left to compete. I know you agree I just think it's unacceptable what they are doing and also I think this decision will be overturned. Just a feeling but there are some very unhappy parents out there who are not going to allow this to pass. Hope it works out for these athletes.

May 27, 2013
Yep! Me, too! I hope it does get overturned. I worry about the future of these programs missing out on two years in a row. What do the coaches do? They love the game as much as the players do. I’m sure some will start looking for a new home if this continues. Just a sad situation all around.

Jun 7, 2016
BT,
Dont want to start an bulletin board spat, but I have DD1 at a Centennial Conf school and they are clamped down tight. Extracurriculars are all Zoom, classes are virtual for time being, only labs are in person and even then 1/3 usual size and food is takeout to the dorm room only. I realize each school is going to operate a little differently (and that young adults will find ways around authority) but I believe the colleges are terrified of liability issues (from students & staff as well as blowback from the community- hell a kid cant fart without someone being aggrieved anymore [olfactory injustice disorder!]) Penn has been in an uproar (according to the DP) about noncompliance with COVID rules.

May 27, 2013
BT,
Dont want to start an bulletin board spat, but I have DD1 at a Centennial Conf school and they are clamped down tight. Extracurriculars are all Zoom, classes are virtual for time being, only labs are in person and even then 1/3 usual size and food is takeout to the dorm room only. I realize each school is going to operate a little differently (and that young adults will find ways around authority) but I believe the colleges are terrified of liability issues (from students & staff as well as blowback from the community- hell a kid cant fart without someone being aggrieved anymore [olfactory injustice disorder!]) Penn has been in an uproar (according to the DP) about noncompliance with COVID rules.

Yes, have one in my town and it is very similar to what your DD’s school is doing. I just wonder what is the difference with these schools vs the D1 schools who are choosing to have a spring season?

Jun 8, 2016
I just wonder what is the difference with these schools vs the D1 schools who are choosing to have a spring season?
OU has a mix of in-person and online classes. Both classes I teach are small and hence in-person.

Apr 28, 2014
BT,

That's sad about them being clamped down so tight. Especially given the fact that many conferences are playing without issues (publicly at least). Not sure what message it sends the group that's boxed in that others can play but you can't. Seems unfair and in todays world we look at fairness more that maybe we should.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I‘m afraid the more this keeps happening, the easier it will become to continue doing into the future.
This is already being proven.

Obviously with people continuing travel ball.
And
Schools / campus having strings attached...
( not the guidelines....rather the lock and key)

Like the people from city controlled rec ball have done...
Go to travel!

Which this scenario supports having an 18+ division in travel ball.
HELLO PEOPLE WHO HOST TOURNAMENTS.

Dec 6, 2019
BT,

My daughter has offers from a couple Centennial Conference schools, but the way the schools, and the conference, has handled all this really gives us pause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi