NCAA Dead Period Extended to July 31st

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Sort of a side note to add to this conversation: I heard early on in this thread about creating a YouTube channel. While I totally agree with this for the purpose of video clips, note that unless you have 1000+ followers to your channel, you will be unable to live stream to YouTube from a mobile device (smartphone). You can get around this by using a Mevo device (until YouTube takes it away from them again). Another option is to use a Webcam connected to a laptop.

Oct 1, 2015
I saw 2 D1s. Could have been more. I think they can go watch games and not recruit?

D1's are not allowed to watch games in person. If you saw coaches there, that is a clear NCAA violation.

What is a dead period?
During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.

Apr 16, 2013
D1's are not allowed to watch games in person. If you saw coaches there, that is a clear NCAA violation.

What is a dead period?
During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.
Thank you for clarifying, because I was about to be even more confused.

Sep 9, 2019

What is a dead period?
I would assume this applies to graduate assistants as well?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
A parent for our Team generally films games on his smartphone and broadcasts them on Facebook live on the team page. I'm assuming that it's OK for D1 coaches to watch that since it's open to the public, but these rules are so wacky that I'm not really sure?

May 16, 2016
A parent for our Team generally films games on his smartphone and broadcasts them on Facebook live on the team page. I'm assuming that it's OK for D1 coaches to watch that since it's open to the public, but these rules are so wacky that I'm not really sure?
Yes, the coaches can watch video streamed games. The question is, will they? My guess is probably not. I think you have better chance getting the coach to view a highlight video you send in an email contact after a game.

Nov 5, 2014
Yes, the coaches can watch video streamed games. The question is, will they? My guess is probably not. I think you have better chance getting the coach to view a highlight video you send in an email contact after a game.

Given this is uncharted territory for everyone I would assume there will be a wide range of approaches to recruiting this year by different college coaches but I can tell you that multiple coaches have explicitly said to DD's travel coach that they will be watching livestreaming games. Since we haven't played yet I am not familiar enough with the Athletes Go Live platform to know if you can tell who is watching or not during the game but it will be interesting to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802