And so, why is the Lable Important?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Same reason a friend of my wife tells me his DD plays "Gold soccer". That's not to be confused with "soccer", or "travel soccer".
In their minds they gain status from their kids achievements.

That said, if either of my kids get to D1 I might get it tattooed on my forehead, who knows.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Most who refer to their D-1 children probably mean no harm by it, so I won't judge everyone who's been guilty of that, but I do agree that it can be pretentious. Why not just say she plays college softball? What does D-1 add to that? D-1 doesn't tell me much since there are some 300 D-1 programs. The difference between the top 50 and bottom 50 is so immense that it would be a waste of time for the top to play the bottom. D-1 doesn't mean you're a better player, or play for a better team, than someone in D-II or D-III. So, yeah, you have to wonder why some feel the need to use that adjective.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I got to know some great D1 dads on web sites - Proud Dad and Gone in 2.65. Anyone else know them? They help keep the other D1 dads in check.

Sep 18, 2011
I was about to respond, but as a D1 athlete myself (in two sports) I thought perhaps I ought not to. This is more of a D2 or D3 thread and I really have better things to do than to slum it in here. :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I would probably laugh in someone's face if they said D1 athlete Instead of "plays ball in college" or some other description. This sounds so pretentious. Making this distinction is a joke. I guarantee that when the time comes I won't give a rats rear what letters or roman numerals are used to classify the athletic depts at the schools where my daughters get their EDUCATION.

Dec 20, 2012
I continue to read/hear comments where parents have to label themselves as parents of D-I Athletes. I had never paid much attention to that until this past week. Suddenly, everyone is the parent of a D-I Athlete be it softball, soccer, ... I bet I have heard that 10-15 times from people who know that I know where their child is attending. It is as if it is an attempt to rub something in the face of those who are not parents of D-I athletes. Am I being too sensitive? I'll give you one example. My dd is giving lessons and really is not making anything and doing so more to help kids. One parent last weekend mentioned to me that her dd is a D-I Athlete and so, maybe she should start giving lessons because she plays at such a higher level. After all, she is D-I. (Putdown obvious and intended in this case.) I truly believe that if my dd's college team played this young ladies team, dd's team would crush them.

Anyway, thought I'd get this topic started and then baton down the hatches as the attacks occur. LOL!

Edited to add:

One of our close friends who lives down the block has a dd that is my dd's age and so, they grew up together. This young lady is one of the top (Top 25 Players) in her sport in the country. She is D-I. However, you'd never know it from the parents. Mostly they talk about their dd the student and not the athlete. Obviously, I admire them.

Is it not the goal of many of these kids to play college ball, D1 for most? And if my kid, your kid or anyone else has a kid that achieved that goal then why not brag about it. You have mentioned more than once that your daughter was a D1 recruit and plays D2 ball, and that is great. I take no offense or sense it being smug. But the fact that there are many of the dd's on here that will never play college ball at all. So to there parents you may sound just as pretentious as the D1 parents do to you. Regardless of my kids' goals, if they reach it I'm gonna brag. That being said, playing at the D1 level does not always make you the better athlete, instructor or student.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877