And so, why is the Lable Important?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
On top of that about 1/2 of the stuff posted on here are backdoor complements and bragging about their kids. Everyone is proud and wants to tell the world what their kid has accomplished and there is nothing in the world wrong with that.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
On top of that about 1/2 of the stuff posted on here are backdoor complements and bragging about their kids. Everyone is proud and wants to tell the world what their kid has accomplished and there is nothing in the world wrong with that.

I totally agree that bragging is fine and natural and all parents do it, Its not the bragging that strikes the sour note for me. I say brag away. It is the pretentious sound of having to make the distinction of D-1. It is almost like it is a way to uplift being at some low end D1 school, that is what sound weird, it is the graspiness of it. Like you have to attach D1 to it to make it sound better. Saying she is playing for Kansas, or Cal, or Georgia? Fine by me. But saying "she is a D1 athlete" because you don't want to say she plays at Prairie View A&M University (no offense to anyone there, I am just choosing an obscure school to illustrate my point- GO LADY PANTHERS!) is the only reason I see for someone saying D1 athlete instead of the schools name or just saying college ball.

And there is a difference between bragging as in "Hey I am so proud of my daughter, listen to this......." and somehow bragging in a way that implies that my daughter is better than your daughter. We've all met people who aren't just happy with their accomplishments or their kids, they want to belittle others accomplishments in the process, this is the feeling I get from this D1 athlete wording.

Dec 20, 2012
Agree 100%, I would never purposely belittle another kid for their accomplishments in order to make my dd's sound more prestigious. I would hope all adults would do the same. I would have been just as proud and bright had my dd attended the NAIA school 20 min from our house. But we also let her make her own decisions, we just played devil's advocate on any decision she made. Made her think everything out. So that's my 2¢ for the third time. Lol

Oct 14, 2008
That being said, playing at the D1 level does not always make you the better athlete, instructor or student.

I like that statement

Jul 10, 2013
Here is a real D1 team stats - TEAM BA .202
PLAYERS BA .231, .219, .200, .191, .164, .143 these are all starters with over 100 ab
Yeap your a D1 player
If you have tell people how good your dd is, then how good is she really

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Amy: Proud Dad was very generous with his time when the DD first went down the softball path, as was 2.6, 90066 Dad,Justadad, & FP92710. All offered great advice, must of which the DD & I have attemped to follow.

The DD was a club field hockey practice yesterday mornig, prepping for the Disney College FH Showcase in a few weeks. One of her old school FH team mates, who now plays in for an Ancient 8 school, was there to work out before heading back to school next week. The club coach casually mentioned to DD's club teammates the player working out is very likely to be plaing for the USA in the 2016 Olympics in Rio. This coach would know as he's very wired into the world of FH, having represented the USA in FH in the '96 Olympics.

The parents of the potential Olympian don't need to tell anyone who their kid is and what she's doing. The girl was a great team mate for the DD and the parents are very nice - Dad is an MD and mom has a graduate degree in Chemistry.

Aug 14, 2011
In the regular world, I have never said that my child plays D1 ball. On this board, I have said that – not saying that my DD is better than anyone else, but just to put it into a frame of reference: I can speak about the D1 experience and it may be different from a D2 or D3 experience. So I would say to make sure you understand the context.
I have met many people that do it and it is a way of bragging. In a town near us, a girl who is a year older than my daughter went to a D1 School a few states away. Every single time came across her parents, the first thing out of their mouth was always "Everything is great. Missy has signed with D1 xxxx State to play softball", "she leaves for D1 xxxx State next week", or even "She comes home from D1 xxxx State for Christmas break next month". Most everyone I met wanted to punch them one. It was truly obnoxious.

Dec 20, 2012
Amy: Proud Dad was very generous with his time when the DD first went down the softball path, as was 2.6, 90066 Dad,Justadad, & FP92710. All offered great advice, must of which the DD & I have attemped to follow.

The DD was a club field hockey practice yesterday mornig, prepping for the Disney College FH Showcase in a few weeks. One of her old school FH team mates, who now plays in for an Ancient 8 school, was there to work out before heading back to school next week. The club coach casually mentioned to DD's club teammates the player working out is very likely to be plaing for the USA in the 2016 Olympics in Rio. This coach would know as he's very wired into the world of FH, having represented the USA in FH in the '96 Olympics.

The parents of the potential Olympian don't need to tell anyone who their kid is and what she's doing. The girl was a great team mate for the DD and the parents are very nice - Dad is an MD and mom has a graduate degree in Chemistry.

How is that any different than the way you brag about your daughter's academic success. There is none. By your way of thinking you should not have to let us know how smart she is. It's very easy to get caught up in our kid's achievements and find ourselves bragging unknowingly or unintentionally.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Can't brag about how great they are if they don't set up the story. As a parent of 2 all district players, all conference, all academic team, NHS, top 6 in their classes, first chair musicians (in tenth grade) multi sport athletes... the key to good parenting is to let everyone else know just how good you are. Clearly the only way to do that is to let everyone know how great the kids are, after all without me they would be ditch diggers.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Is it not the goal of many of these kids to play college ball, D1 for most? And if my kid, your kid or anyone else has a kid that achieved that goal then why not brag about it. You have mentioned more than once that your daughter was a D1 recruit and plays D2 ball, and that is great. I take no offense or sense it being smug. But the fact that there are many of the dd's on here that will never play college ball at all. So to there parents you may sound just as pretentious as the D1 parents do to you. Regardless of my kids' goals, if they reach it I'm gonna brag. That being said, playing at the D1 level does not always make you the better athlete, instructor or student.
I think in the context of this forum saying that your dd is a division 1 player adds credential to your words. It says here is the opinion of someone who has been through it. But when you are in a conversation with people and they steer it towards, my dd is a division 1 player. When it really adds nothing to the conversation. It can be annoying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877