And so, why is the Lable Important?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Here is the thing. If I can tell a parent is actually bragging about the kid. I have no problem with that. Thats what parents do when they are proud, and they should be.

But when they say it in a way that makes it sound like they are bragging about themselves, that I don't want to hear.

Apr 1, 2010
My daughter was taught (first) to study hard then play hard. In the end she turned down D-1 softball offers and choose a "D-1" education instead, from a top "Division 3" University (Washington University in St. Louis). In a blink of an eye (4 years) she will be graduating college and heading for Med school, preparing for the rest of her D-1 life.........

Congrats! I am a Wash U alumna and it is a fine school.

I don't know if DD will end up there or not; it was pricey 30 years ago. Now it's sky high--she'd need to have them offer her some major scholarship money.

Jan 27, 2011
A label is just a label that was self imposed. In the small world of youth sports, travel sports, collegiate sports, anyone can label themselves and it really doesn't mean anything. The majority of parents that I've encountered that have dropped the my kid is a D-1 athlete, have never been an athlete at any level themselves. The parents who simply state my kid plays (their sport) in college, or discusses their academic prowess over athletics; have either played themselves at an elite level, or are simply grounded and know there is more to life than "my kid is a D-1 athlete". One of my favorite sayings is, "consider the source". To be honest, I could care less if my child was at a JuCo, NAIA, D3, D2, or D1. The most important thing is the education they're getting and where it will lead them in life. One day, all the days of sports will end and they'll have to be productive members of their community.

Dec 20, 2012
A label is just a label that was self imposed. In the small world of youth sports, travel sports, collegiate sports, anyone can label themselves and it really doesn't mean anything. The majority of parents that I've encountered that have dropped the my kid is a D-1 athlete, have never been an athlete at any level themselves. The parents who simply state my kid plays (their sport) in college, or discusses their academic prowess over athletics; have either played themselves at an elite level, or are simply grounded and know there is more to life than "my kid is a D-1 athlete". One of my favorite sayings is, "consider the source". To be honest, I could care less if my child was at a JuCo, NAIA, D3, D2, or D1. The most important thing is the education they're getting and where it will lead them in life. One day, all the days of sports will end and they'll have to be productive members of their community.

Don't forget there is an M and an E. lol

i-found-the-i-in-team-t-shirt-1344970569.jpg

Jul 22, 2012
I am surprised no one has brought up the other side of this discussion. I have a DD that goes to a mid major university that has a very good softball program (makes NCAA tourney regularly). When I am asked about her I say, yes she is going to xxxxxx state university and plays softball for them. I don't even mention the D-I thing. However, several times with those that are not familiar with the softball program will respond, isn't that a D-II school or I thought that was a D-II school or isn't that a party school?

I can't figure out why that would matter unless they are insinuating that her accomplishment is less than what it is or that the program isn't a top 25 D-I program. I guess are two sides to every story.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2011
If this is your 3rd post, we're in for a treat as you become more active!

Thank you Cannon. I read some of the post and typically don't post. I'll claim limited knowledge / experience and share only the little bit I have when I feel it's possibly relevant. I only come out of my cave to watch my kids play.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
This isn't limited to athletics. When most people talk about having gone to college, they'll usually say "When I was in school..." or some variation such as that. But I've noticed Notre Dame graduates tend to say "When I was at Notre Dame..." I'm sure there are other schools where they do that as well.

Some people just want you to know they're better than you.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I am surprised no one has brought up the other side of this discussion. I have a DD that goes to a mid major university that has a very good softball program (makes NCAA tourney regularly). When I am asked about her I say, yes she is going to xxxxxx state university and plays softball for them. I don't even mention the D-I thing. However, several times with those that are not familiar with the softball program will respond, isn't that a D-II school or I thought that was a D-II school or isn't that a party school?

I can't figure out why that would matter unless they are insinuating that her accomplishment is less than what it is or that the program isn't a top 25 D-I program. I guess are two sides to every story.

I think the same personality type that says " My dd is a D-1 Athlete" Is the same one who asks " isn't that a party school?". Both comments score big on the douche-o-meter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877