Michelle Granger Olympic pitcher and Coach talks pitching.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
How much advantage (MPH) does everyone think replant/reset give the pitcher?
Well Barhill was 2-4 MPH slower without the replant. Also I'd say there's an alteration in the release point. Closer to the plate so less reaction time.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I don’t think it’s a second push. When you coil strongly there is a need to reset. Even though you’re moving forward, the coil is a rearward force. Too much rearward generates a need to reset to throw the ball.

Oct 13, 2017
Well Barhill was 2-4 MPH slower without the replant. Also I'd say there's an alteration in the release point. Closer to the plate so less reaction time.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
For years I've heard 2 to 4 mph. Thats the reason some do it. Makes a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I don't think there's much of an advantage to it, but I'm not certain. Sure, Barnhill may have been a little slower but that was because without the replant she was forced to use a motion that was unfamiliar. And I am also not sure that it gets you any closer to the plate. Most of the pitchers that I have seen (and I have seen a lot) that replant don't get a good launch off the the rubber, just like Granger it's a semi-step push off. In order to test how much of an advantage that mini-replant is you would have to take a legal, high level pitcher and make her use the replant, and see if she got any further off the rubber and threw any faster.

However, at some point sooner or later, probably sooner, you're going to see pitchers that leap out like the men do, with an obvious replant, hopefully that will be called illegal.

May 13, 2023
It’s anything but fluent. When she first saw her motion on video she asked her coach to fix her motion. He basically said he can’t fix it. I’ve heard a lot of stuff through the years.
😁

🎶 Heard it Through the Grapevine🎶

Of course a pitcher should always want to improve, she always did.

imo. As to forward motion...my eyes do not see a stop/pause glitch in that video. Do not see any extra momentum created after intitial momentum.

Perhaps it's because I know what she looks like pitching from the batters box and catching her that I have this observation/ perspective. I've seen her game after game. 🤷‍♀️
(Have seen other pitchers that have a 'hitch in their get along' but I wouldn't put her in that category.)

This always noticed though,
She was a pitcher that had limbs flailing a lot of directions.
Long and lanky also made it more noticeable.
Her glove arm jerking out to the left could distract if not paying attention to throwing hand /arm.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
I don't think there's much of an advantage to it, but I'm not certain. Sure, Barnhill may have been a little slower but that was because without the replant she was forced to use a motion that was unfamiliar. And I am also not sure that it gets you any closer to the plate. Most of the pitchers that I have seen (and I have seen a lot) that replant don't get a good launch off the the rubber, just like Granger it's a semi-step push off. In order to test how much of an advantage that mini-replant is you would have to take a legal, high level pitcher and make her use the replant, and see if she got any further off the rubber and threw any faster.

However, at some point sooner or later, probably sooner, you're going to see pitchers that leap out like the men do, with an obvious replant, hopefully that will be called illegal.
Yes probably sooner.
'Mega Leapers are coming to a field/ theater near you'

It is going to put a Bigger Spotlight on these pitcher nuance conversations.
Much more noticeable when it is trained with intention.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi