And so, why is the Lable Important?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I think in the context of this forum saying that your dd is a division 1 player adds credential to your words. It says here is the opinion of someone who has been through it. But when you are in a conversation with people and they steer it towards, my dd is a division 1 player. When it really adds nothing to the conversation. It can be annoying.

I agree that the reference to our DD's level of competition or age should typically be intended to provide insight into our experience and perspective when we offer comments or advice. College-level advice to a 8U rec ball player may not be very effective and vice-versa. When the reference is used unnecessarily (or without a "brag post" disclaimer), it lessens that poster's credibility IMO.

Great discussion.
Therefore I will say (BRAG ALERT!!!!) this: DD1 was an athlete at an NAIA school where her grades got her not only into a tough school, but also into the Honors Program.
DD2 is probably going DIII to play softball at one of the toughest (Academic wise) schools within a 500 mile radius.
DD3.....is a student like I was and will be lucky to get into a state school.....

If they get an education (the more rigorous the better) and get to play the game they love, then I am excited for them. They are students first, athletes second. (Ok, softball is like 1A).

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
I brag about two things - (and it's only when somebody else corners me):

1. DD is getting the excellent education we always dreamed we would want for her.
2. DD's efforts is saving me so so much $

Noting that in the travel sb scene I am in it seems that most want to brag about "My Sally got an x% ride" or "My Suzy got a y% ride". (the $$ aspect). When I bring up the quality of the education at this school or that, it almost seems that they don't even know about this detail relative to the school their DD might go to..... (this could be my little micro-culture though)

Feb 7, 2013
I think I would be just as proud (if not more proud) if my DD played softball without an athletic scholarship at Harvard or Princeton versus getting a full-ride to a top 10, D1 softball program because I would know that she is getting a world-class education that will be with her the rest of her life.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
I think I would be just as proud (if not more proud) if my DD played softball without an athletic scholarship at Harvard or Princeton versus getting a full-ride to a top 10, D1 softball program because I would know that she is getting a world-class education that will be with her the rest of her life.

Getting an education like that would be hitting the jackpot for sure! But only a select few get the opportunity to go to those schools and it would be brag worthy, imo. The "bragging", at least in my case, is for the fact she set a goal and accomplished it. Her goal could have been to go to nursing school or become a police officer and would have bragged just as much had she accomplished that goal. The difference is that there is a larger forum when it comes to sports. And range of people in that forum range from newby parent to seasoned coach and everything in between. So to those who have been there done that, a lot of this may not be a big deal. And to some of those who are working toward a goal or maybe didn't reach their goal it may be taken a different way.

AND IF MY DD WAS ON A FULL ACADEMIC RIDE TO STANFORD THAT WOULD PROBABLY BE TATTOOED ON MY FOREHEAD! Lol

softballcoach5662

Slapping coach
Jan 14, 2014
Wisconsin
I've coached girls softball for a long time. And just to say your DD plays D-1 doesn't tell me a thing.... is it a D-1 top 25 college?? or one that sits in the bottom 75 to 268 range of D-1 teams. Your top 25 D-2 teams can compete with most D-1 schools below the top 25 schools. Watch a top 25 D-3 school play sometime. They can compete with most all D-2 schools and would give a lot of D-1 schools a run for their money. The most important part of our DD playing softball is there college education, lets face it.... there is no professional career in the end waiting to pay them some multi million dollar contract.....! My daughter was taught (first) to study hard then play hard. In the end she turned down D-1 softball offers and choose a "D-1" education instead, from a top "Division 3" University (Washington University in St. Louis). In a blink of an eye (4 years) she will be graduating college and heading for Med school, preparing for the rest of her D-1 life.........

Dec 20, 2012
I've coached girls softball for a long time. And just to say your DD plays D-1 doesn't tell me a thing.... is it a D-1 top 25 college?? or one that sits in the bottom 75 to 268 range of D-1 teams. Your top 25 D-2 teams can compete with most D-1 schools below the top 25 schools. Watch a top 25 D-3 school play sometime. They can compete with most all D-2 schools and would give a lot of D-1 schools a run for their money. The most important part of our DD playing softball is there college education, lets face it.... there is no professional career in the end waiting to pay them some multi million dollar contract.....! My daughter was taught (first) to study hard then play hard. In the end she turned down D-1 softball offers and choose a "D-1" education instead, from a top "Division 3" University (Washington University in St. Louis). In a blink of an eye (4 years) she will be graduating college and heading for Med school, preparing for the rest of her D-1 life.........

Impressive and congrats! Most people probably never heard of it but it rivals any Ivy League school. And if that is the path she chose to follow then great. But do only those with that type of education live what you consider a D1 life? I agree an excellent education and high paying job surely makes life a little easier but does not always give you a happy and fulfilled life. Some of the happiest people I know are not what most people would consider successful. But what's the expressions? Money isn't everything, You can't take it with you, and I'm sure there several more. And to imply that a kid that has aspirations of playing D1 does not put their studies first is totally wrong. Where some kids are gifted academically others are gifted athletically, creatively, .... If they are using their God given talents to get where they want to be in life then I would consider that successful. And goes back to what I said before, if my kids set goals for themselves and then achieve their goals I will brag that I am living a D1 life.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've coached girls softball for a long time. And just to say your DD plays D-1 doesn't tell me a thing.... is it a D-1 top 25 college?? or one that sits in the bottom 75 to 268 range of D-1 teams. Your top 25 D-2 teams can compete with most D-1 schools below the top 25 schools. Watch a top 25 D-3 school play sometime. They can compete with most all D-2 schools and would give a lot of D-1 schools a run for their money. The most important part of our DD playing softball is there college education, lets face it.... there is no professional career in the end waiting to pay them some multi million dollar contract.....!

This is insightful, IMO.

My daughter was taught (first) to study hard then play hard. In the end she turned down D-1 softball offers and choose a "D-1" education instead, from a top "Division 3" University (Washington University in St. Louis). In a blink of an eye (4 years) she will be graduating college and heading for Med school, preparing for the rest of her D-1 life.........

This is bragging, IMO.

Not saying it's wrong. But since the topic of bragging was broached in this thread, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
One of our close friends who lives down the block has a dd that is my dd's age and so, they grew up together. This young lady is one of the top (Top 25 Players) in her sport in the country. She is D-I. However, you'd never know it from the parents. Mostly they talk about their dd the student and not the athlete. Obviously, I admire them.

It is the quality of the school that counts, not the label. If DD is fortunate enough to play in college, GREAt!
At this level girls are playing while being educated for a career and nothing more. The above quote says a lot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877