A rules question for non-umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
R1 on first, F3 playing up in front of first base, F4 is playing close to second base to attempt to take away a base hit up the middle, F9 is playing very deep. Batter hits a hard ground ball to the right of F3 who dives for the ball and is unable to touch it. The ball then hits R1 going from first to second.

What is the correct call?

I am not an umpire, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last year. It is my understanding that if the ball hits the runner, while she is in fair territory and not standing on a base BEFORE it is touched by a fielder, then the base runner it out and it is a dead ball and all runners return to their last base.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
You're confusing appeal with protest. Appeals are for things like missed base or leaving early on a caught fly ball.

Fair enough. Correct terminology correction accepted :) .

So as a correction - we had two protests upheld because we knew the rule and the field umpires didn't. In both cases the UIC knew the rule as well.

Also to be fair, the field umpires involved were otherwise very good on both occasions - just inexperienced.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The correct call is nothing....it's a live ball and in play.

Once the ball passes an infielder and there no other fielder that can make a play, it is not interference provided the runner does not do something intentional to interfere (like kicking the ball)

In ASA, the rule is 8-7-K.

I didn't count up the responses, but it looked to be about a 50-50 split...about what I expected.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I thought this was a fun thread.

Please do some more if you are so inclined and send MTR an IM explaining what no umpires means. :)

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
The correct call is nothing....it's a live ball and in play.

Once the ball passes an infielder and there no other fielder that can make a play, it is not interference provided the runner does not do something intentional to interfere (like kicking the ball)

In ASA, the rule is 8-7-K.

I didn't count up the responses, but it looked to be about a 50-50 split...about what I expected.

The point of contention is if the RF could "make an out". If she can it's a DBO. If not it's a live ball.

I would love to know the permutations to "make an out"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516