Interference while standing on 1B

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
While the runner may have a "right" to the base, they do not have a "need" for the base. There is no need for the runner to stay on or hold first base.

Regardless of that logic, while a runner is not required to vacate a base to make room, they also may not interfere with the fielder making the play. There is not an exception, the interference takes precedence.

Vertical fist tap from me ... sound like it was a good call.

So, to be clear, the runner simply stood on first, hands at her side and watched the play. Not sure if I follow you logic from there; if the runner has a right to stand on the base - then there was no interference / not sure how you officiate on 'need'; IE, on a bunt, the runner doesn't 'need' to run on the LF side of the running lane (she could easily run at the RH Side of the lane), but she does have a right to run just inside the LH side of the running lane.

May 27, 2022
You can vacate into foul territory. Right?

I mean like if you ran out a grounder.

Yes, you are right, but it was just kind of weird. The batter jogged to first as it was such a high pop up that she didn't have to hustle - almost like a jog after a walk. When she got to first, it didn't feel like she needed to run through so she just stood there.

After the fact, it seems obvious to run through - at the time it didn't seem weird that she didn't. If the ball would have landed anywhere but 2 feet next to first base, you wouldn't have thought twice about her just standing there watching it happen.

Oct 4, 2018
Yes, you are right, but it was just kind of weird. The batter jogged to first as it was such a high pop up that she didn't have to hustle - almost like a jog after a walk. When she got to first, it didn't feel like she needed to run through so she just stood there.

After the fact, it seems obvious to run through - at the time it didn't seem weird that she didn't. If the ball would have landed anywhere but 2 feet next to first base, you wouldn't have thought twice about her just standing there watching it happen.

I hear ya. I would have done the exact same and would have expected any player to do the exact same.

You simply stand on the base, you don't interfere.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
So, to be clear, the runner simply stood on first, hands at her side and watched the play. Not sure if I follow you logic from there; if the runner has a right to stand on the base - then there was no interference / not sure how you officiate on 'need'; IE, on a bunt, the runner doesn't 'need' to run on the LF side of the running lane (she could easily run at the RH Side of the lane), but she does have a right to run just inside the LH side of the running lane.

Maybe the NCAA rules are different, but at lower levels the base does not provide the runner any protection at all as far as I know. I could be missing it, but runners do not actually have a right to stand on the base if the fielder is trying to field a ball in that exact spot.

May 29, 2015

No, the batter-runner. A runner would have a reason to stay on a base (though they still cannot stay there and interfere). The batter-runner doesn't have a reason to just stand on first base while the fielder is trying to catch a fly ball there. Pretty easy interference call when the runner runs (jogs) into the middle of the play and stops there for no other reason.

Need isn't anything you officiate from, but it helps to understand a situation. As @CoachJD said, the base is not an absolution or a safe haven, but it helps to understand why a runner may be trying to hold their position. Knowing they don't have a reason by rule helps, too. It's a beautiful game ... you have "the right" to do anything you want ... until you don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad