A rules question for non-umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
A play very similar to this came up in a game this past weekend. It was a college fall game, but the ruling would be similar in all codes that I am aware of. I would like to hear what the coaches, parents, fans, etc think.

Umpires - I am asking you to refrain from answering at this time. Thanks

Play:

R1 on first, F3 playing up in front of first base, F4 is playing close to second base to attempt to take away a base hit up the middle, F9 is playing very deep. Batter hits a hard ground ball to the right of F3 who dives for the ball and is unable to touch it. The ball then hits R1 going from first to second.

What is the correct call?

May 17, 2012
I think the issue you have here is that the RF could make a play on this ball if it was hard hit and right at her. If another fielder can make a play it doesn't matter that it passed the first baseman.

Dead ball out.

Nov 17, 2010
My guess: Play on unless R1 intentionally touched the ball. The ball passed a fielder other than the pitcher.

The only thing in the question that makes me waver is that you mentioned that F9 was playing deep. Not sure why that would matter.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Live ball unless ump believes F9 or F4 had a realistic opportunity to make a play or as Darken states unless R1 intentionally touched the ball.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
I believe the rule is the ball has to pass ALL of the fielders who would be able to make a play on the ball (?)

But if it went to the right of F3, it's unlikely F4 could make a play. So I'm saying safe (or no call?) unless it's the Umps judgement that F9 was shallow enough to make a play, which you've indicated wasn't the case.

I'm assuming though, that's not the call that was made and the runner was called out?

Jul 23, 2014
Just a dad here, but that is a dead ball out right? Has been in every game my DD has played in whenever a baserunner is hit with a batted ball.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
No call, play on. Once the ball has passed a fielder (other than the pitcher), there is no interference.

Since this has happened in this example with F3, everything else in the scenario is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the F3 touched the ball or not, or where anyone else was - as long it passed her before it hit the batter, play continues.

-edit- just looked it up the section in USSSA rules:
"[Is out if the runner] Is contacted by a fair-batted ball before it touches or passes an infielder, or after it passes any infielder, except the pitcher, and the Umpire judges that another infielder has a play"

So unless the umpire determines F4 has a play (which she clearly doesn't based on description and that it was hit hard so that F3 dove), no call. F9 positioning can't be considered. It is written this way because a ball could technically pass a pulled in F5 on the other side of the field even though she doesn't have a play on the way for a play by F4/F3 who are positioned deeper than the runner.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez