A rules question for non-umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
-edit- just looked it up the section in USSSA rules:
"[Is out if the runner] Is contacted by a fair-batted ball before it touches or passes an infielder, or after it passes any infielder, except the pitcher, and the Umpire judges that another infielder has a play"

I would assume this must vary by rule set because I would replace "infielder" with fielder.

If this is not the case than my runners on first base are kicking every ground ball to RF so the batter/runner can't be thrown out.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Sounds like the infielder despite their best effort truly didn't have a reasonable play on the ball. Live ball-incidental contact by the runner.

Had this happen this weekend-we were the defense and I agree it was the right call

Jul 23, 2014
Thanks for this post, I never knew this rule existed. Every single runner I've seen hit has been called out without any argument.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I would assume this must vary by rule set because I would replace "infielder" with fielder.

If this is not the case than my runners on first base are kicking every ground ball to RF so the batter/runner can't be thrown out.

The rules also say that if the runner intentionally touches the ball they are also out, so this wont work.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thanks for this post, I never knew this rule existed. Every single runner I've seen hit has been called out without any argument.

We have won this call on appeal twice. We also had this call made correctly twice last year.

Part of being a coach is knowing the ACTUAL rules (not the myths and legends, but actual rules). You never know when it might help - and also the good umpires like it when you don't make stupid myth based appeals.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
We have won this call on appeal twice. We also had this call made correctly twice last year.

Part of being a coach is knowing the ACTUAL rules (not the myths and legends, but actual rules). You never know when it might help - and also the good umpires like it when you don't make stupid myth based appeals.

Well, not really. There is no appeal available on this play. You may have asked the umpire to get help and get a call reversed, but that is not a appeal.

Dec 19, 2012
Well, not really. There is no appeal available on this play. You may have asked the umpire to get help and get a call reversed, but that is not a appeal.

Why not? The appeal would be based on a rule in this situation, not a judgement call.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida

You would be right if the umpires on the field had reversed the call... except the umpires we had didn't know the rule properly so we had to get the UIC involved on both occasions. The on-field umpires tried to say the fielder didn't matter although they did agree the ball had passed the fielder.

The two times it was called right were by some of the better umpires in the area. Always a pleasure when these guys turn up.